Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
paulmaysc
Fanfold Paper
Views: 1,293
Message 1 of 6

ThinkPad Edge e530 and purchase new Lenovo Part # 45N8331 - mSata 16gb SSD

Hello

I got this new laptop as a gift.  I wanted to upgrade the laptop with mSata 16gb SanDisk SSD to use it for caching purpose... I see I have an empty slot in WWAN slot that I could use the mSata...I called Lenovo and asked for that part (45N8331) so they transferred me to the Parts Dept.  I asked for that part -- the lady said it will cost $523.95 for that part...I fell over backwards!  I thought NO WAY!  It must be a mistake!

I see hundreds of SSD for sale all over...none under 32gb costs that high!  I can understand 256Gb and larger would cost that much...  I only want a simple 16Gb SSD designed to work with ThinkPad Edge e530...  I pray that one of you know where to get that part for much lower price.

If you, Lenovo, are reading this posting and see that it is an error in price...please let me know!!

Many thanks!

lead_org Microsoft MVP Contributor
Microsoft MVP Contributor
Views: 1,282
Message 2 of 6

Re: ThinkPad Edge e530 and purchase new Lenovo Part # 45N8331 - mSata 16gb SSD

The 64 gigs Samsung SATA that i got with the ThinkCentre M92z was a 280 dollars option when you purchase the desktop from Lenovo.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/lead_org/7782185634/

It is expensive as an aftermarket part from Lenovo, because Lenovo don't really stock it and no one really buys it as a separate part from Lenovo.

You are better off getting large one from different vendors.
Regards,

Jin Li

May this year, be the year of 'DO'!

I am a volunteer, and not a paid staff of Lenovo or Microsoft
paulmaysc
Fanfold Paper
Views: 1,276
Message 3 of 6

Hello.

thank you for the reply.  Yes, I am aware that I can buy SSD and use it in place of HDD, which is no problem at all. I plan to purchase one soon, however I would like to use it as file caching inside the WWAN slot as a mini mSata

from the lenovo tech specs, it says 16GB SSD Cache for Lenovo Hard Disk Drive Performance Booster (http://shop.lenovo.com/products/us/tech-specs/laptop/thinkpad/edge-series/e530/)

and from the FRU pdf -- it says 45N8331  mSATA 16GB SanDisk Cache (http://download.lenovo.com/parts/ThinkPad/E530_FRU_BOM_V2.pdf)

that part which I am seeking for this laptop that I would like to purchase

Smiley Happy

Views: 1,252
Message 4 of 6

Yes i am aware of your need.
Regards,

Jin Li

paulmaysc
Fanfold Paper
Views: 1,212
Message 5 of 6

So you are saying that i can just get 3rd party SSD (mini mSata) and put it in that WWAN slot then use it as primary OS or even make it a caching drive?

Strange that all information from Lenovo saying can't use that slot except for their 16gb SSD drive or their WWAN device.  Forgive my ignorance.  Just that i want to do the right way without destroying this new laptop.  Heck yes, I would want to have a SSD instead of regular HDD...in both slots!

Thank you Lead_org for helping.

Views: 1,203
Message 6 of 6

you can use any mSATA on the market as a SSD in the WWAN slot. Regarding your other question regarding cache, i do not have any answer i can share with you here.
Regards,

Jin Li

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors