Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Seppuku
Ctrl-Alt-Del
Views: 778
Message 1 of 9

ThinkPad Virgin

Hello everybody,

I'm replacing a laptop of mine, an Acer Aspire, which was a piece of rubbish that had one too many problems before dying on me, after the warranty ran out. I figure this time, I just want something reliable and I've given myself the budget of £400, but I'll extend it to £500 if need be. The ThinkPad Edge and SL series both look like decent laptops and a bargain for what you get.But it is the choice that has me kind of stuck. From reading these forums the ThinkPad Edge looks like to be having a few problems, I'm not sure if they're common issues, perhaps somebody could enlighten me. I noticed the trackpad thread and it seems only to be a software issue, the software can be disabled if the update and workarounds don't work, so that's a problem that doesn't worry me.

In terms of usage, I'm a writer and I'd mostly be using the internet and Microsoft Office, I'm a heavy multitasker, so I'd want a capable processor. It'll also be for personal use, so multimedia and even light gaming. The Intel i3 with Intel HD graphics will be compatible with games I have, but I prefer the idea of having discrete graphics and an Intel processor, so the SL sounds like the better choice, then, the i3 is the superior processor. I've found an Edge I like for £480 and the SL510 Discrete would be cheaper at £444, but with 250gb instead of 500gb, so they roughly value the same when you take that into consideration. So really...I'm stuck between the Intel Edge 15" and SL510 Discrete.

Either way, I'm getting a bargain, but I wonder if any forum users can share their opinions?

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 726
Message 2 of 9

Re: ThinkPad Virgin

something else you might want to think about is screen choice.  i don't have either one, but i do like intel processors and i like intel graphics.  they just seem to run cooler with longer battery life than the discrete graphics.  battery life in the sales brochures is a bit overrated, i think.  so, i don't know what you're portability demands are, i know we're talking about more money, but the x100e has an excellent screen from what i've seen.  the edge seems to be lacking a bit.  just cover all your ends when you make a decision. 

Community GuidelinesSearchPrivate MessagingENDEESPTRUUACZ-SKMoto
PM requests for individual support are not answered. If a post solves your issue, please mark it so.
Seppuku
Ctrl-Alt-Del
Views: 719
Message 3 of 9

I'm a writer (or at least, an aspiring one), so portability is kind of essential, I used my old Acer laptop when doing interviews last year, it recorded well (I had it hooked to an external mic), but it was too chunky and required me to have it plugged in after a while, so it wasn't quite up for the job, in the last few interviews I needed I just used a dictaphone and a notepad, it does the job but transcribing from tapes is a pain and tapes aren't cheap (plus the record quality is worse). So if Intel processors and cards not only run cooler but consume less power and offer a longer battery life, then it seems intel is the way to go.So I might choose the Edge.

As long as the screen is clear, then I don't have an issue, I've had a look at the X100e and it looks like a nice little laptop, but I see no intel versions and the X201 is a little out of my budget.

[edit]

I keep hearing of people's complaints on these forums and a lot of people seem to struggle with Lenovo's quality of service, should I be taking notice of this?

Thank you. Smiley Happy

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 707
Message 4 of 9

you could look at it this way. people that don't have problems don't post on forums that they don't have any problems.  only people that have problems post on forums.  so if you look at all the machines that are sold, the percentage of problems are small.  lenovo doesn't actually repair.  they contract with depots and agencies to do their repairs.  so i guess it depends on the repair depot in your neck of the woods whether or not they do quality repair or will even acknowledge the fact that it needs a repair.  plus a lot of the problems i see here are actually software problems.  such as lenovo applications being in conflict with windows 7 applications.  2 different power managers fighting over control, that sort of thing.  i think that lenovo's quality is still pretty good even if they're changing their machines around to make them prettier.  

this forum is basically user to user but lenovo employees do monitor these posts from time to time and jump in to help out, which is more than i see being done on hp's and dell's.    

PM requests for individual support are not answered. If a post solves your issue, please mark it so.
Seppuku
Ctrl-Alt-Del
Views: 704
Message 5 of 9

Aye, it's kind of to be expected, I suppose when it's the Lenovo 'Community', I expect geeks talking about Lenovo tech and a level of happy users roaming the forum, not necessarily to sing their praises about every aspect, but in general...well...geekiness. But from impression, it seems to be the place to complain and clear up problems (so a Tech Support forum), which I can understand as from reading some posts, people are having poor experience with their local service centres, so they come here to either vent or seek answers from peers and the staff who roam. There's always going to be a faulty piece of tech in a line of quality products and people will seek a place to vent or find solutions to their problems, so there's really no reason for this to put me off. The chances of me receiving a faulty ThinkPad and having trouble with delivery or one of their repair centers will be slim.

It's a shame it takes 1-2 weeks to ship to the UK, but I'm kind of tempted to order the i5 discrete version of the ThinkPad Edge, I just have to ask myself, would I be willing to pay an extra £60 and wait 2 weeks?

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 689
Message 6 of 9

http://forum.thinkpads.com/viewforum.php?f=60

this is the original thinkpad forum. here's where you'll find the diehard thinkpad fans doing their modifications and tweaking their machines.  notice how they put the edge forum in the non'thinkpad category.  you'll get a lot of non-biased reviews on the edge and everything else thinkpad.

Seppuku
Ctrl-Alt-Del
Views: 686
Message 7 of 9

Ah, thanks for the link. I might sign up there also and give it a browse,

Cheers.

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 681
Message 8 of 9

that's cool, i'm there too, same name.

check out the marketplace, people sell all kinds of thinkpad stuff, reasonable.  there's even a feedback forum for  buyers and sellers.

macandpc91
SCSI Port
Views: 490
Message 9 of 9

Any Thinkpad would be a great option for you. I love my T410 and have had one problem with it but I called Lenovo and had the replacement part in less than a day. So their a great choice no matter what model you buy.

Thinkpad E570,X220,X61,T500,Yoga 700 11"

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors