Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
JohnHG-NC
Blue Screen Again
Views: 799
Message 1 of 3

ThinkPad Yoga 11e - BSOD when updating BIOS from Windows

Hi!

We have a number of ThinkPad Yoga 11e, most of them are about 1.5 years old and we're currently updating their Windows 10 image and BIOS. Imaging process completes fine, but updating the BIOS has caused us a lot of issues.

When updating BIOS from within Windows with the latest BIOS Update Utility (1.26) from Lenovo's website the laptops crash with a blue screen of death (BSOD). We then tried all previous BIOS versions (from 1.10 and up), but they all crashed too. The current BIOS version on the laptops is 1.10, but even that failed.

We initially ran the installer from our network drive with the installer file renamed for easier identification. We have since tried renaming the installer file back to the original name and running it locally. Have also tried running it only with wireless enabled, running only with Ethernet enabled. At one point we thought there might have been another installation process running in the background (drivers, Windows Update), so made sure that had all completed. The BIOS upgrade still crashed the laptop.

We have been unable to pinpoint any of the above scenarios to be the culprit, as now some of them work randomly. Two machines side by side, one will work and the other one will fail.

We're pulling our hair out with this one. Has anyone else had this experience and have you found what steps need to be taken to successfully complete the BIOS upgrade every time?

Lenovo Staff
Lenovo Staff
Views: 741
Message 2 of 3

Re: ThinkPad Yoga 11e - BSOD when updating BIOS from Windows

Does Windows create an DMP (or MDMP) file after the BSOD?

If so, can you zip it up and put it on dropbox/onedrive/etc so I can take a look?

I have heard of a similar issue previously (on a different system) and it was caused by AV/security software.

JohnHG-NC
Blue Screen Again
Views: 707
Message 3 of 3

Re: ThinkPad Yoga 11e - BSOD when updating BIOS from Windows

I must admit that I didn't check for the memory dump file. We turned the laptops off and tried them again some time later and none of them crashed. Maybe there was another process running or that the system needed to be fully shut down before the BIOS would update properly.

If I experience this issue again, I will certainly look for the memory dump file and upload it.

The only AV/Security software we have installed on the image is Windows Defender which comes with Windows 10.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors