Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
obaron
What's DOS?
Views: 25,959
Message 1 of 35

Thinklight Icon won't go away

Hello,

I have a Lenovo Thinkpad Edge E530. Occasionally I will have the following icon pop up on my screen and refuse to go away:

IconOff.png

A reverse google image search told me this is the logo for the "thinklight", which as far as I know is not actually equipped on this model. As a side note, I have seen this happen on a friend's E530 as well. It will usually go away on its own after half an hour, but it is very annoying to have it there at all! Any insight or solutions would be greatly appreciated.

iancdn
Token Ring
Views: 26,045
Message 2 of 35

Re: Thinklight Icon won't go away

You can make it go away by doing something like increasing or decreasing sound volume, which will update other onscreen displays.  Seems to be a bug in the current OSD system.

obaron
What's DOS?
Views: 25,819
Message 3 of 35

Thank you!
rlweiner
Fanfold Paper
Views: 25,707
Message 4 of 35

I have the same problem on a T430. It started recently, perhaps due to a Lenovo or Windows update. The indicator comes on after waking the PC from sleep mode. I can usually make it go away by changing the volume using the system tray icon, but not always. If I wait a while -- which could be 5 minutes -- I'll see an on-screen indicator of the current volume setting, which makes the Thinklight indicator go away. But waiting an unpredictable amount of time is really annoying.

I can make the indicator go away by using the laptop's function keys, but I use my Thinkpad in a docking station, so the function key isn't readily accessible. My external keyboard doesn't have a separate function key.

I've tried using the Win7 on-screen keyboard to press the Thinklight function key combination, but it doesn't work.

Is there a way to make the indicator go away without opening up my laptop? Is there some combination of keys on a standard keyboard, or on the Win7 on-screen keyboard, or a macro I can run?

iancdn
Token Ring
Views: 25,680
Message 5 of 35

Not to my knowledge. Since it is obviously a bug in the onscreen
display module, it might exhibit unstable
behavior, so it's impossible to predict all the ways it might work.
Maybe contact support and ask if they plan to update it.

char1
Paper Tape
Views: 24,407
Message 6 of 35

Mine starting coming on for no reason after every log on after I upgraded to Windows 10. It goes away after I turn on the thinklight and turn it back off. I have a ThinkPad T520.

jsbrown44
What's DOS?
Views: 24,369
Message 7 of 35

Same problem here on my T420S after upgrading to Windows 10, except turning on light on and off and changing the system tray volume isn't working. It just seems to go on and off on it's own no matter what I do. 

hux12
Blue Screen Again
Views: 24,173
Message 8 of 35

Not a solution for me on my Thinkpad W520. Ever since update to Windows 10, the thinklight icon appears after waking up from sleep mode, no matter what I do it won't go away, unless I reboot the computer. This is very annoying and a driver update is needed ASAP. And this question should NOT be marked as "Solved" as I see more people are still having this problem than those whon don't in the thread.

Community SuperMod
Community SuperMod
Views: 24,169
Message 9 of 35

@hux12 wrote:

And this question should NOT be marked as "Solved" as I see more people are still having this problem than those whon don't in the thread.

Good day.

Please keep in mind that it is always the thread-starter's prerogative to mark the post of their choice as the accepted solution, which is the case in this instance.

Regards.

Community GuidelinesSearchPrivate MessagingENDEESPTRUUACZ-SKMoto
PM requests for individual support are not answered. If a post solves your issue, please mark it so.

I am not a Lenovo employee.

Brunni
What's DOS?
Views: 24,000
Message 10 of 35

I have the same problem since using Windows 10 as well. Is there some process I could kill to make the icon go away? Or some option where I could disable On-Screen stuff at all? Please help! It is so annoying.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors