cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
BananaItaliana
Paper Tape
Views: 5,482
Message 1 of 7

Thinkpad 13 - SSD M.2 is PCIE compatible?

Hi everybody,

I know that this is not the right place for this question but a proper section for the newest Thinkpad 13 does not exist already.

I would like to know if the M.2 Sata3 disk within the Thinkpad can be upgraded with a PCIE one. 

The slot is the same but it is necessary to assess if the motherboard does support it.

Does anybody know it? Does anybody know the name or the code of the motherboard in order to search it on my own?

Thank you very much for your time

Community SuperMod
Community SuperMod
Views: 5,449
Message 2 of 7

Re: Thinkpad 13 - SSD M.2 is PCIE compatible?

Good day.

Based on what's listed in the FRU parts listing: https://download.lenovo.com/parts/ThinkPad/tp13_frubom_20160322.pdf it would appear that only SATA6 m.2 SSDs are configured in the this model. I recall no mention at CES of PCIe capabilty.

Regards.

Community GuidelinesSearchPrivate MessagingENDEESPTRUUACZ-SKTRMoto
PM requests for individual support are not answered. If a post solves your issue, please mark it so.

I am not a Lenovo employee.

BananaItaliana
Paper Tape
Views: 5,360
Message 3 of 7

I was wondering if for a producer like lenovo would not be cheaper to install general motherboards with same functionality (in this case PCIE compatibility) all over its lines.

The missed PCIE specification in my opinion is due to market placement rather than to an effective capability.

If I were to order a PCIE ssd and put in place just to try (I can then give it back to Amazon if it does not work), would I harm the notebook?

Thank you 

Community SuperMod
Community SuperMod
Views: 5,355
Message 4 of 7

@BananaItaliana wrote:

If I were to order a PCIE ssd and put in place just to try (I can then give it back to Amazon if it does not work), would I harm the notebook?

Interesting question... sadly, I'm not qualified to answer that for you, and I wouldn't want to be responsible for giving an opinion that might ending causing something to go awry.

Regards.

Community GuidelinesSearchPrivate MessagingENDEESPTRUUACZ-SKTRMoto
PM requests for individual support are not answered. If a post solves your issue, please mark it so.

I am not a Lenovo employee.

Highlighted
o-n
Paper Tape
Views: 5,303
Message 5 of 7

I just got my thinkpad 13 this week. I got mine with the 128GB SATA SSD and i5-6200 cpu, if that matters. I had a samsung sm951 PCIe AHCI SSD laying around and tried to install it on the thinkpad... no luck. It fit, but it was not recognized by the system.

BananaItaliana
Paper Tape
Views: 5,287
Message 6 of 7

Not even by the BIOS ?

o-n
Paper Tape
Views: 5,278
Message 7 of 7

Correct, not recognized by anything including the bios.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors