Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
laragungun
Paper Tape
Views: 10,458
Message 1 of 5

Thinkpad 3G / WWAN - No Good - Faulty marketing

I bought a Thinkpad Edge 13 with 3G module and sim-card reader (Type 0196-2EG).

However - it seems it is locked to a single network, the American  "Verizon Wireless"

This is the message I get hen trying to activate my 3G-card using Lenovo toolbox:

Congratulations on the purchase of your Lenovo ThinkPad notebook, featuring Verizon Wireless Mobile Broadband Built-In.

Then I get two options: Sign up - or Close

My conclusion is that this card only works with "Verizon Wireless". Which is really a joke . I bought it and I'm going to use it in Norway.

Am I correct in this assumption or have I missed something? Anyone else having experiences with similar problems?

henk
Punch Card
Views: 10,423
Message 2 of 5

Re: Thinkpad 3G / WWAN - No Good - Faulty marketing

I also have a 0196-2EG.

You have to create a Location Profile manually.

My Edge 13 was delivered with a vodafone SIM. I now am using a t-mobile SIM for which I needed to create a Location Profile in Access Connections manually. It shouldn't be to difficult to do this.

I hope your edge 13 will live longer than mine. Mine has died two times in nearly three months time.

lead_org Microsoft MVP Contributor
Microsoft MVP Contributor
Views: 10,399
Message 3 of 5

depending on the WWAN card model that you optioned on the thinkpad it can be locked to a single carrier, but that would be obvious during the configuration step during online orderinging. 

Regards,

Jin Li

May this year, be the year of 'DO'!

I am a volunteer, and not a paid staff of Lenovo or Microsoft
laragungun
Paper Tape
Views: 10,372
Message 4 of 5

PROBLEM SOLVED

Thanks for answering!

But now I found a solution. When opening LenovoThinkVantage Tools - You should NOT choose "3G Mobile Boradband" in order to start using your 3G mobile broadband. This is a distraction - taking you to a built in VerizonWireless sign-up process. 

Faulty Marketing.! Say no more. 

If you instead choose "Internet connections" from the same meny, you can choose HSDPA and enter your pin code and be up and running on your preferred 3G network - that is using ANY SIM-card supporting 3G. I used the one I have in my cell-phone. 

So it seems that everything works.

If you have a "locked" 3G card - it's all another story I guess

unappropriated comment removed 

McPanda
Fanfold Paper
Views: 10,085
Message 5 of 5

I had the same issues when trying to activate my 3g card. Only i got the Contact your carrier message. Not brilliant design Could be better guys.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors