cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
PatP
Paper Tape
Views: 395
Message 1 of 3

Thinkpad E130 - Memory Upgrade - 1Rx8 only?

Hello everyone,

I need to upgrade the memory on my E130.

Currently I have a Samsung DDR3 SO-DIMM 4gb PC3-12800s 1Rx8.

I would like to upgrade to 8gb (4gbx2).

Question: do I necessarily have to get 1Rx8 RAM modules or can I also install 2Rx8?

Thank you so much in advance for your help.

JDGillis
Bit Torrent
Views: 375
Message 2 of 3

Re: Thinkpad E130 - Memory Upgrade - 1Rx8 only?

According to the PSREF for that model, it supports dual ranked/channel SODIMM memory modules

http://psref.lenovo.com/syspool/Sys/PDF/withdrawnbook/ThinkPad_E130_E135_WE.pdf

Memory

8GB max7 / PC3-12800 1600MHz DDR3, non-parity, dual-channel capable, two 204-pin SO-DIMM sockets * System automatically clocks down for processors with 1333MHz DDR3 memory controller

That said, mixing dual and single ranked RAM is always sort of a crap shoot, so if you plan on just adding 4GB more, you probably should try to match the RAM as close as possible to what you have presently, since any performance gain would be minimal anyway.

PatP
Paper Tape
Views: 356
Message 3 of 3

Re: Thinkpad E130 - Memory Upgrade - 1Rx8 only?

Thank you so much JDGillis for your quick reply!

Actually I wasn't planning of mixing dual and single ranked RAM.

Since I was not able to find the 'perfect' match for the already installed Samsung RAM, I was planning to purchase a new RAM module kit 2x4GB.
However, due to the fact that the installed Samsung RAM is single ranked (1Rx8), I was wondering if I have to buy single ranked RAM module kit only, or, if the MoBo would support dual-ranked RAM module kits also.
I read that some Intel chipsets limit the number of ranks that you can put into your computer.

In case I could use them both, i.e. 2x4GB 1Rx8, or, 2x4GB 2Rx8, would you recommend single-ranked or dual-ranked RAM?

Thank you once again!

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors