Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
EMarck
Paper Tape
Views: 2,373
Message 1 of 6

Thinkpad E145 - Screw has worked its way loose, bezel has separated near hinge

As the title describes - a screw on my laptop has come loose and gone missing and now the bezel (the thin plastic cover surrounding the keyboard in case my use of bezel is wrong) has separated from the lower half of the casing on the upper right corner of my E145, above the kensington lock and mains input. The LCD hinge is now loose and lifts up when moved, the kensington lock housing also moves with it.

This image shows the problem - that's the right side hinge, the separation can be seen at the top of the case and to the right of the kensington lock port, on the hinge itself. I haven't tampered with the screw in any way but did notice the bezel wasn't flush with the battery on this side (it is on the other hinge), so the screw has been loose for some time and finally worked its way free.

I posted this thread before I realised the screw had gone but I might as well keep it up (if only to remind anyone else with this problem to check the screws Smiley Tongue) but I have two questions:

1. In the event we're unable to find the screw, will it be possible to procure a replacement from Lenovo? When looking at the laptop from the bottom, the screw is located in the top left corner just above the rubber foot and battery release switch 1.

2. If the screw has come loose because the threading is damaged then this will need to be repaired. My laptop's warranty has not yet expired, will the warranty cover these repairs?

pustekuchencake
HDMI
Views: 2,338
Message 2 of 6

Betreff: Thinkpad E145 - Screw has worked its way loose, bezel has separated near hinge

Of course. Call the service center and talk with them.

Views: 2,317
Message 3 of 6

Re: Thinkpad E145 - Screw has worked its way loose, bezel has separated near hinge

Hi,

I had the same problem on the left side, near the start button.

The screw had been lost and the upper and lower parts were separating when opening or closing the laptop.

Unfortunately, this problem is not covered by the waranty by IBM France.

Then, I tried first to replace the srew by another similar (M2,5x6,5mm).

No luck : there is probably a plastic hook broken inside the computer and the upper an lower parts were continuing to separate themselves.

Then I replaced this short screw by a longer one (M2,5x20mm plus a flat stainless washer 3x6mm, 0,5mm thickness).

The head of the screw and the washer must screw washer and feutral.jpgstay outside, under the laptop. When I fastened slightly the screw, the upper and lower parts of the laptop did no longer separate themselves.

I have done the same thing on the right side to have a symetrical computer.

Except this problem, I think it's a good machine for a traveller.

Sorry for my bad English.

Regards.
Christian

Former Employee
Views: 2,119
Message 4 of 6

Re: Thinkpad E145 - Screw has worked its way loose, bezel has separated near hinge

Lenovo has concluded an investigation into failing hinge mounts on E130, E135, and E145 laptops.

If your laptop is within warranty, and has not been otherwise damaged, please contact Lenovo Service for support and reference Service TIP SF15-T0023/ HT102889.

Thank you,

jh11
What's DOS?
Views: 1,505
Message 5 of 6

Hi
Did using the 20mm screw work as a long term fix. Is it still working

Thanks

John
ditisstephan
Paper Tape
Views: 1,427
Message 6 of 6

Dear Amy, 

Can you describe to me what your message exactly means. I'm from the Netherlands and am having this exactly failing hinge. The laptop e145 is not otherwise damaged and within warranty.  I tried calling the Lenovo support in the Netherlands but haven't heard of any reference service, but they are simply trying to bill me for the repair of the physical damage (that I did not inflict).

What did Lenovo conclude from it's investigation? Should my laptop be repaired within warranty?
Tia.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors