Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
puravida
What's DOS?
Views: 2,302
Message 1 of 14

Thinkpad E220 "Critical Battery Issue" even AFTER updating battery firmware

Hey,

I own a Thinkpad E220 (5380-CTO) and the "Lenovo Thinkpad Toolbox" gives me daily alerts that I have a "critical battery issue". The link leads me to a page to download and update the battery firmware. "Battery Firmware Updates for Main and Slice (external) batteries - ThinkPad Edge E220s, Edge E420s, X1" http://support.lenovo.com/en_US/detail.page?DocID=HT062049&AID=10429688&PID=3719336&CJURL=http%3A%2F...

I've gone through all the steps to update the firmware numberous times, including doing the battery recalibration and I STILL get the daily "critical battery error message". Please help, the daily scans eat up RAM and it's annoying that I have to cancel it daily.

The battery, from what I can tell, works otherwise.

Thanks! 

guvencs
Fanfold Paper
Views: 2,240
Message 2 of 14

Re: Thinkpad E220 "Critical Battery Issue" even AFTER updating battery firmware

I do have exactly the same problem: keep getting the "critical battery issue" alert every sinle day! When I want to update the battery firmware, it says it cannot find any batteries that require firmware update. Yet, I get the same "critical battery issue" alert the next morning... This started happenning a few days a ago after I have updated the ThinkVantage Toolbox system; and it is already driving me crazy...

Does anyone from Lenovo ever read these community blogs??? It seems like noone cares!

puravida
What's DOS?
Views: 2,085
Message 3 of 14

Same problem here! I also updated the firmware and still get the error message. I'm glad I'm not the only one, but it'd be nice if someone could respond to these posts...

Former Employee
Views: 2,070
Message 4 of 14

hi all,

Sorry to hear about the issues you faced with the battery. I was just wondering if you have updated the power management as well? I would suggest updating the powermanage too as that can reconfigure the battery to a correct reading. Another thing that might need the atten of updating would probably the bios. the current version now is the 1.35. 

DO let me know how it goes.

Regards

Former Administrator
Views: 2,060
Message 5 of 14

All,

Could you confirm whether Power manager is reporting a problem with the battery or only Lenovo Solution Center or Lenovo ThinkVantage Toolbox (and what version)?

We have sunset Lenovo ThinkVantage Toolbox, and I would suggest uninstalling it and installing the Lenovo Solution Center for which there will be future updates.

Appreciate the additional information so we know how to proceed on this.

Thanks!

guvencs
Fanfold Paper
Views: 2,053
Message 6 of 14

I see the message on ThinkVantage Toolbox, it is just there and updates its date info everyday. Please, see the attached screenshot. When I hit the update now link, it used to take me to some download page on Lenovo's website and when I downloaded and installed the new version of the suggested firmware, I would get the message I have mentioned in my original post. Now, the "Update now" link takes me to Lenovo's homepage (probably, the old page is removed by now). Yet, I still keep seeing this message anyhow (the date information on this message is Tuesday, May 22 2012).

Link to picture

Moderator note; picture(s) totalling >50K converted to link(s) Forum Rules

Former Administrator
Views: 2,034
Message 7 of 14

guvencs,

Thanks for the update - I'm going to share this with an engineer responsible for our diagnostic programs and see if he has any further thoughts.   The answer may be that this is a glitch with the last version of Lenovo ThinkVantage Toolbox and since we have sunset that application and support for it, in favor of Lenovo Solution Center.... that we might advise you to uninstall Toolbox and install solution center.

I'll see if we can pinpoint, but that may be the answer.

Mark

Former Employee
Views: 1,997
Message 8 of 14

hi all,

In order to for me to investigate further could you PM some details i need. The details required are found below.

• Machine Family (e.g. T61)
• Machine Type Model (e.g. 7660-14A)
• Machine Serial Number (e.g. L3-234A)
• Bios version
• Chipset model and driver version
• RAM (e.g. 2GB DDR3)
• OS (e.g. Win 7 64-bit Ultimate)
• Steps taken prior to a reported issue (for an example software or hardware installed)
• Driver list and version of components (depends on issue discussed)

• First and Last Name
• Contact Phone Number
• Email Address
• Country of customers resided
• Case Number (provided by service centre)
• Date of Purchase (optional)

Hope to hear from you guys

Thanks in advance,

Regards

Former Employee
Views: 1,928
Message 9 of 14

Hi all,

Just give you an update. Our engineering side has tested and managed to replicate the issue in their labs. They can confirm that by  uninstalling the Lenovo Toolbox and installing the currently supported "Lenovo Solution Center" as Mark already suggested on the forum solved the issue.

The "Lenovo Solution Centre" can be downloaded from the link below.

http://support.lenovo.com/en_US/downloads/detail.page?&LegacyDocID=MIGR-73784

Do give it a shot and let us know.

Regards

JuveZzZ
Punch Card
Views: 1,921
Message 10 of 14

Does that means that Lenovo Toolbox is no longer supported, and replace by Lenovo Solution Center

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors