Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
PlumBoy
Fanfold Paper
Views: 1,074
Message 1 of 2

Thinkpad E440 black screen of death

Lenovo Thinkpad Edge E440 / Windows 8.1

Hoping someone can help. I updated some drivers using the Lenovo Solution Center (I think - it was over a week ago), which caused my wifi to trip in and out, so I ran Iobit's Driver Booster to install different drivers over the ones the LSC had just installed. I probably should have just system restored because on rebooting I got first the Lenovo logo followed by the rotating dots thing but then only the black screen of death. After Googling I got into the blue screen diagnostics pages (tapping ENTER during booting up) and have been trying everything there. System Restore doesn't work - I keep getting the message "System Restore error no.0x8007051a". System Refresh also doesn't work, with the message "The drive where Windows is installed is locked. Unlock the drive and try again". After more Googling I tried a few things with the command prompt to try unlocking the drive but nothing worked. I recovered some important files using command prompt / notepad to a USB memory stick (external hard drive doesn't work - maybe needs drivers?), before trying the Reset option. BUT it doesn't work either, giving me the message: "Unable to reset your PC. A required drive partition is missing". My main problem is I don't have a WIndows 8.1 disk and never made a Windows rescue memory stick.

Any help that anyone can offer to get things running again would be greatly appreciated

Highlighted
PlumBoy
Fanfold Paper
Views: 1,004
Message 2 of 2

Re: Thinkpad E440 black screen of death

This was resolved by replacing the hard drive and reinstalling Windows from a 3rd party.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors