cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
spacecake
Serial Port
Views: 788
Message 1 of 8

Thinkpad E465 Type 20EX random restarts after Windows 10 fall creators update 1709

The machine above has a serious problem.

The machine is 6 months old and worked without issue until the W10 fall creators update 1709.

The machine started to randomly restart at least once daily. The machine is under warrenty and customer support has recommended, updating BIOS, reimaging the hard drive, problem continued, fitted new system board, problem persisted, reimaged the hard drive again but the problem persisted.

This machine has been sent to the repair centre.

Disappointing, the machine is listed as tested and passed for updating to Windows 10 fall creators 1709, see below

https://support.lenovo.com/gb/en/solutions/ht505322

I will come back to the forum if/ when the machine is repaired/ working without issue.

spacecake
Serial Port
Views: 685
Message 2 of 8

Re: Thinkpad E465 Type 20EX random restarts after Windows 10 fall creators update 1709

The Machine is still with the Lenovo repair centre, does the community here have any knowledge of part installations and upgrades.

I missed from the post above that the machine was purchased with 4GB RAM module. The machines intended use includes alot of picture manipulation so we (the customer) replaced the single 4GB RAM module with a single 8GB RAM leaving a spare bay for the future. 

The repair centre have identified the RAM module as being faulty and because its not the original want to charge us for replacing it, that's fine with us but they also want to charge us installing the module and because its a different memory capacity charge us for upgrading it. This is a customer replacable unit (CRU), therefore we could change it, however we are told changing it voids the warrenty.

Lenovo is not doing itself any favours, theres a need for better customer care and understanding. It's dragged on for weeks.

Where do I find the pricing tarrif for performing part installation or part upgrades ?

I will update again when its repaired or returned unrepaired.

onnlv
Paper Tape
Views: 661
Message 3 of 8

Re: Thinkpad E465 Type 20EX random restarts after Windows 10 fall creators update 1709

I'm facing similar problem with my E465 (20EX) since windwos 10 1709 update.

Intermittent crash(reboot) without BSOD or any kind of.

I don't know that our problems are identical but mine actually leaves minidump file and windows error event and it says that AMD Northbridge throwed WHEA error (bugcheck 0x124).

Sadly, bugcheck 0x124 is typically related to physical hardware failures and my warrenty for this machine has gone just 2 days before this problem shows up but I am still trying to figure this out by myself because I'm pretty sure that this problem is related update/driver issue for the following reasons.

1. I never had this problem before windows update.

2. Lenovo provided driver is sometimes works oddly (WLAN driver for example which drove me BSOD from day 1)

3. There is a solid symptom before the machine crashes (Sluggish trackpoint scrolling with middle button pushed)

4. I've done various machine tests including CPU stress test that is suggested when there is a WHEA bugckech error but never found a problem.

Lastly, thankyou for sharing your progress and I hope my story may give you some ideas to solve this out.

And I will update my reply when there is any progression.

(EDIT: some text alignments)

spacecake
Serial Port
Views: 643
Message 4 of 8

onnly,

First up in Windows 10 these restarts are actually system failures that are pre-programmed to restart, see creators update issues here... 

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-update/after-windows-10-creator-update-...

Lenovo service centre have this as a failed memory module, but reading lots of of issues with AMD APU systems and creators update- will update when notebook returns at the weekend.

The changed out RAM module has a lifetime warrenty so will get it swapped for free.

spacecake
Serial Port
Views: 585
Message 5 of 8

Update post

The notebook computer was returned to us and after unboxing found the keyboard bezel to be damaged, the machine came with a replacement memory module installed, the OS (Windows 10 64 bit, 1709) had be reset yet again. The machine ran for about 40 mins before randomly restarting yet again, so much for the RAM module repair. I uninstalled the Mcafee livesafe internet security and opted for the windows defender, updated this, ran a scan. Ran yet another hardware scan, all no issues.

Machine ran a one day then randomly restarted, this time it won't get passed the Lenovo splash screen - its in an endless boot loop.

onnlv
Paper Tape
Views: 553
Message 6 of 8

It's too bad that your device have returned even worse than before.

I suggest you to run Lenovo Diagnose Hardware on boot menu (Hit enter on Lenovo screen and then F10)

Or run memtest86+ with bootable USB media might be of some help since all they have done is replacing RAM module.

You can download it from here https://www.memtest86.com/download.htm

I came back with an update for my own problem by the way.

After I investgated minidump files and debug analysis results, I figured it out that my AMD PSP driver got silently updated to 4.0 along with windows 1709, but OEM version of that driver is held back on v2 (2.22.0.5 by now) and that driver might be the cause of the problem according to minidump analysis. So I downgraded it and my machine works great without any crashes over a week so far.

Even sluggish trackpoint scrolling under high cpu load has faded away like even never happened before.

Your update tells me that the problem you're facing is not likely the same as mine but I'm glad if this gives you any ideas.

Cheers.

spacecake
Serial Port
Views: 526
Message 7 of 8

"I suggest you to run Lenovo Diagnose Hardware on boot menu (Hit enter on Lenovo screen and then F10)"

I tried this and nothing happened, not working & reason unknown.

There's quite alot written about AMD APU A10 northbridge issues on the AMD site but it maybe simply a driver issue, if thats the case why are Lenovo repair centre changing out the memory.

I don't have the skills to read and understand mini dump files myself.

I think some of the issue is that the machine was originally designed and built for windows 8.1 and repurposed for windows 10 and like many others might be doomed to a constant barrage of future issues.

spacecake
Serial Port
Views: 356
Message 8 of 8

The machine was returned to the Lenovo certified reseller around 28th February 2018 for evaluation.

They did the right thing and fully refunded on the machine.

So thats the end of this unfortunite tale.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors