Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
uisik34
Fanfold Paper
Views: 578
Message 1 of 6

Thinkpad E480 Bios Wifi/BT Whitelist Check and Fan Noise

Hello community,

I have bought 8th gen E480 (Type 20KN-005DTX) thinkpad to use both at office and home and i am almost fully satifsfied about price/performance value. I have latest Bios installed on system with windows 10 pro and another one in separate hardisks.

My problem and questions are;

1. Is there any bios whitelist which lenovo limits to use all wifi/bt card on system? ı read on internet lenovo is not applying such restriction for wifi cards for long years but only for wwan cards, is it true? Can i order any of following wifi cards to replace to the one installed in laptop at the moment (Intel Ac-3165)

Broadcom BCM94352Z

Broadcom BCM94350ZAE

2. Is it normal the fan is mostly at high speed around at 50 C which cause a lot noise and this is really annoying? My 3rd gen Toshiba which had 3520m cpu was solid stable, cooler and quiter. I never heard any fan noise during i used it for years but only somtimes in summers. I read a lot about such similar complaints about e480 fan noise and seems no solution for that. Any advice?

Thanks for replies in advance.

uisik34
Fanfold Paper
Views: 513
Message 2 of 6

Ynt: Thinkpad E480 Bios Wifi/BT Whitelist Check and Fan Noise

Seriously? No one can comment about whether i can use two of wifi i mentioned above or not? I never seen such non responsive forum like lenovo before. Really weird to receive no response in a week.
uisik34
Fanfold Paper
Views: 471
Message 3 of 6

I wrote here because local lenovo is out of knowledge about this issue but it seems no one have any further idea about my question. Smiley Sad(
Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 463
Message 4 of 6

I assume the lack of responses means that none of the users (like myself) know the answer.  Tradittionally, whitelists have existed because companies are only allowed to sell computers with radios (wifi, wwan, etc.) that are tested and certified to pass noise interference testing by the FCC (in U.S.) and other similar agencies.

Rich

I do not respond to requests for private, one-on-one help. Your questions should be posted in the appropriate forum where they may help others as well.

If a response answers your question, please mark it as the accepted solution.

I am not an employee or agent of Lenovo.
developer_xxl
Paper Tape
Views: 442
Message 5 of 6

I had to change the fan speed settings under performance management by switching "cooling" to "passive" the fan noise is really annoying. My old Dell 7559 had a GPU and it didn't scream that loud under load.

Administrator
Administrator
Views: 265
Message 6 of 6

There was another BIOS released at the end of last month, you may want to check it out if you haven't already.

v. 1,33
https://pcsupport.lenovo.com/sk/en/products/LAPTOPS-AND-NETBOOKS/THINKPAD-EDGE-LAPTOPS/THINKPAD-E480...

[New functions or enhancements]
- Improved the performance when the system were under high loading

Andy

English Community Leader
Please remember to come back and mark the post that you feel solved your question as the solution, it earns the member + points 
Did you find a post helpfull? You can thank the member by clicking on the star below their post awarding them Kudos

Please don't ask me questions by Personal Message; questions belong in the forums.

Communities:   English    Deutsche    Español    Português    Русскоязычное    Česká    Slovenská    Українська   Język Polski    Moto English

And we're back...

Move delayed but still coming

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors