Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Shareh
Fanfold Paper
Views: 5,259
Message 1 of 42

Thinkpad E520 Windows 8 Switchable Graphics Driver

Hi, I've upgraded to Windows 8 pro on my E520 and unfortunately i did this without checking if Lenovo had released the correct drivers for my laptop. They were for the most part but there doesn't seem to be one for the AMD 6630m/Intel 3000 Switchable graphics. This is kind of a big deal for me but i can wait a couple days if a release of the drivers is imminent before downgrading to Windows 7. 

So does anyone know when these Windows 8 drivers will be released?

frostfiredk
Paper Tape
Views: 5,190
Message 2 of 42

Re: Thinkpad E520 Windows 8 Switchable Graphics Driver

Hi Shareh

I have exactly the same problem, i have found 2 possible solutions, but none of them are satisfying so far.
1. Unsigned 3rd party driver, wont link to it here cause its not a proper solution. This works fine but because its unsigned some win 8 apps wont work with it
2. if u ask windows 8 to update/install a driver for the AMD card its actually able to find a working driver, but the driver will crash at startup and needs to be restarted before use.

These are some solutions but i too am waiting for Lenovo to get going and make som functioning drivers for windows 8
Shareh
Fanfold Paper
Views: 5,176
Message 3 of 42

Yh, this really sucks. I thought since the various Pre release versions have been out for a while Lenovo would be ready for Windows 8s release.
SPilepich
Paper Tape
Views: 5,158
Message 4 of 42

Agreed. I have been on win 8 on my e520 since RTM and have been patiently waiting for more drivers. Slowly they have been coming out and I'm only missing a few now. One for the webcam and most frustratingly the graphics cards. I tried the third party setup but had the installer glitch on me. It apparently needs to be installed in a very particular 50 step method.... too hard. Does anybody know if they will be releasing the driver or are we end of life and not worth releasing a driver for?
Shareh
Fanfold Paper
Views: 5,129
Message 5 of 42

If they think we're end of life after only being out for about 1.5 years then that is seriously **bleep**ed up. I doubt it though as we are listed in their machines that support Windows 8, so that must mean something right? ;_;
dorinpetcu
What's DOS?
Views: 5,038
Message 6 of 42

Hi, i had the same problem, but now i found this driver from leshcatlabs.net ->catalyst_12.9_sep4_unifl_pt04 and it works very well..i had it for 30min Smiley Happy(NFSTR is working flawless Smiley Happy) )...lenovo should be ashame for not releasing drivers for windows 8 (most important - video audio)....
Shareh
Fanfold Paper
Views: 5,006
Message 7 of 42

Yh, im actually using the same driver atm, have been for two days. It's good but battery life isnt what im used to and Im experiencing a few weird bugs (screen flashes when coming out of sleep). It will hold me over for the time being but official drivers would be much better
langa
Serial Port
Views: 4,597
Message 8 of 42

So, I've upgraded to Windows 8, and lo and behold, there's no Windows 8 driver for the switchable graphics. 

Windows 8 may have just become available to the masses just recently, but there's been AMPLE time for Lenovo to get this sorted during the RC releases for the past year. 

Does anyone know the release date for these drivers? Or have a solution that doesn't require using non-signed Leshcat drivers?

Moderator Note; subject edited; post merged in.

jetsonic
Fanfold Paper
Views: 4,554
Message 9 of 42

I am dissapointed by lenovo. they should have fixed this before the release, or about now anyway. I have the same problem. and it frustrates me.
Stuartc2uk
Punch Card
Views: 4,531
Message 10 of 42

I have same problem with thinkpad E320. I have posted a number of times asking when new drivers will become avaliable. No one from Lenovo has ever responded with any advise - which is annoying. Just a line saying that they will be avaliable at some point would help.

Email direct to Lenovo and response was will get back to you(with support ref) - that was 3 weeks ago now.

PS - no windows 8 bluetooth driver either for E320 (broadcom)

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors