Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
meetnoedig
Blue Screen Again
Views: 34,274
Message 1 of 88

Thinkpad E550: External monitor flickers constantly while charging laptop

When I'm charging my Thinkpad E550 and I connect it to any external monitor with a VGA cable, the external monitor flickers constantly such that the external monitor cannot be used for any meaningful work.

However, when I remove the charger, the constant flickering stops and the external monitor could be used though the screen still flickers/blinks for only about 4 seconds every 50 minutes or so.

Disappointingly, using the laptop on battery all the time is not healthy for the laptop's battery but that's the choice I have if I need to use an external monitor.

I have tried to use a 2-pronged adapter to plug the monitors into the mains but I still experience the flickering until I remove the charger.

Does anyone have a solution? Thank you.

SumberaM
Paper Tape
Views: 34,180
Message 2 of 88

Re: Thinkpad E550: External monitor flickers constantly while charging laptop

My external display does the same thing, but if I unplug the charger and the flashing constantly, momentarily displays the desktop and then 3 seconds off. I tried to reinstall Intel HD driver, but the same result, ATI driver i have latest.

Any idea?

PajaS
Paper Tape
Views: 34,104
Message 3 of 88

Hi, i have 2 pieces of Lenovo E550, same problem ..

SumberaM
Paper Tape
Views: 34,124
Message 4 of 88

I used HDMI to DVI cable, there's no problem.

ADMIN EDIT - There is another possible issue and solution here to consider.  If this flickering occurs while connected to the VGA port, there is a firmware update for the VGA controller being publsihed to the support site.

We will update to include a link here once this is live.

meetnoedig
Blue Screen Again
Views: 34,063
Message 5 of 88

Thank you for this!

I have just ordered a HDMI-DVI cable. I hope it works fine for me. Smiley Happy

meetnoedig
Blue Screen Again
Views: 33,833
Message 6 of 88

A HDMI-VGA cable works just fine & that's what I currently use.

Extra info: VGA-DVI cable also prevents the external monitor flickering but resolution must be reduced to a very low one first.

dirxionllc
Paper Tape
Views: 32,860
Message 7 of 88

So an adapter using the HDMI port fixes this, but this seems like an actual problem that needs addressing.  Has anyone actually had this problem fixed? Or sent it in for repair?

I have similiar monitor flashing issues using the Oneline Pro dock, it could be completly unrelated, but as of now the E550 may be the last Lenovo laptop we buy for the office based on these issues if we can't find a fix.

speakerman
What's DOS?
Views: 32,583
Message 8 of 88

My external monitor also flickers when connected to my new e550 when using the VGA or HDMI connectors. My laptop does not have a DVI connection. My monitor is an Acer H233H. It has HDMI, VGA and DVI connectors. Is the solution to connect a DVI cable from the monitor to a VGA or HDMI adapter to the laptop?

dirxionllc
Paper Tape
Views: 32,559
Message 9 of 88

@speakerman wrote:

My external monitor also flickers when connected to my new e550 when using the VGA or HDMI connectors. My laptop does not have a DVI connection. My monitor is an Acer H233H. It has HDMI, VGA and DVI connectors. Is the solution to connect a DVI cable from the monitor to a VGA or HDMI adapter to the laptop?

Going by the description of the way other users fixed it I would have thought simply using the HDMI port should have fixed your problems.

We submitted our laptop in for warranty repair.  First time they shipped it back saying they upgraded firmware, but problem was still present. Shipped it back to them and now its awaiting part delivery.

Based on the slowness of the warranty process and finding others online with the same issues this is probably the last Lenovo product we will be buying for our office.

speakerman
What's DOS?
Views: 32,534
Message 10 of 88

It's bizare. HDMI to HDMI and VGA to VGA connections result in external monitor flickering. But HDMI laptop to DVI monitor connection and no flickering after more than a day.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors