Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
MollieM
Paper Tape
Views: 1,912
Message 1 of 4

Thinkpad E550 Windows 10 Driver Updates

I have a Lenovo Thinkpad E550 running Windows 10 having been updated automatically from Windows 7 Pro 64-bit (initial and anniversary).  I cannot get Skype to use the integrated webcam. That is not the issue. Discussions of that said to make sure the video drivers were up-to-date. There have been no non-automatic updates of Lenovo software since its purchase in early 2015. I used Lenovo's utility to identify the system as 20DFCTO1WW. Just about everything looks out of date, so much so I wonder if I am looking at the drivers for the right system though it agrees with the solution center's showing of model and serial number. I am familiar with computers, byut I am not familiar with how Lenovo does things.

Multiple questions:

1) The current drivers for the integrated camera are RealTek 6.2.9200.10282 (7/11/2014), but the Lenovo site shows version 6.5.717 (6/19/2016 for Liteon) and Version 10.0.10240.11135 (Bison/Chicony). Is this the same device.

2) Is there a suggested sequence for applying multiple updates?

3) The Lenovo page has an option "Let Lenovo update your system". Is this safe?

Thanks

JDGillis
Bit Torrent
Views: 1,870
Message 2 of 4

Re: Thinkpad E550 Windows 10 Driver Updates

New in Windows 10, you will have to give Skype, and any other applications, permission to use you camera by following the steps below.

• Press and hold the Windows key and then press the A key to open the "Action Center"  (it will slide out from the right side of your screen)
  • Click on All Settings
  • In the left pane of the Settings screen, select Camera
  • In the Right pane, now select Let Apps Use My Camera switch to enable the Camera
  • Now go through the list of applications and enable/disable applications that you wish to be able to access your camera.

Hope that helps,

JDGillis
Bit Torrent
Views: 1,863
Message 3 of 4

1) The current drivers for the integrated camera are RealTek 6.2.9200.10282 (7/11/2014), but the Lenovo site shows version 6.5.717 (6/19/2016 for Liteon) and Version 10.0.10240.11135 (Bison/Chicony). Is this the same device.

The Integrated Camera Driver installer can update drivers for several different cameras, but I am not sure which one, if any, is applicable to your system.    The good news is that the installer will check, and not applicable to your computer, will simply error during install saying it is not compatible, and if it is compatible, it will update.

2) Is there a suggested sequence for applying multiple updates?

No, you can install them in any order you want.

I would skip the BIOS update since its readme lists no "important updates", but then I tend to follow the "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" rule on BIOS updates, because they can be a bit tricky at times, and if they go bad, they can leave your system not booting at all.

3) The Lenovo page has an option "Let Lenovo update your system". Is this safe?

I do not use that method personally because I just like installing them one at a time to make sure they all work as designed, but quite frankly unless I am having a problem of some sort, I tend to follow the ol' "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" rule with drivers too.

My paranoia aside though, it is pretty safe to update drivers since you can always roll them back from Device Manager if they do not work properly.     Lenovo has a program just for its Thinkpads called Thinkvantage System Update that makes updating your Thinkpad very easy, which can be downloaded from the link below.

ThinkVantage System Update

https://support.lenovo.com/us/en/documents/tvsu-update

Cheers,

MollieM
Paper Tape
Views: 1,831
Message 4 of 4

Your first reply was germane, but Skype already had permission.

Your second reply got me something that solved the problem. I installed the ThinkVantage System Update (which apparently updated Lenovo Companion). I used it to upgrade the BIOS, install 6 recommended updates, and 2 of 4 optional updates in a series of install/boot cycles. Part way through the camera app started working. Later on Skype worked..

Your responses were very clear. They helped a lot. Thanks.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors