cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Rick441
SCSI Port
Views: 4,446
Message 1 of 4

Thinkpad E560 Spill Resistant keyboard???

I have a 17-day old new Thinkpad E560.  Spilled about a teaspoon of white wine on the keyboard when I jostled the glass (it didn't tip over).  Keyboard started acting flaky, spontaneously producing long series of a's and 1's.   While I couldn't see any evidence of remaining liquid after dabbing up what small amount was evident, I figured a trickle may have seeped inside, and let it dry overnight. 22 hours later I tried again, and while there was no erratic behavior, about a third of the keys -- while they felt normal -- were non-functional.

I recalled that the Lenovo specs for this model say it has a Spill Resistant keyboard.  But I see no open holes on the back of the case.  And I pulled out the keyboard and see it has plastic across its entire back.  Clearly this isn't a Spill Resistant keyboard.  How can the Lenovo specs, and many resellers' advertising, tout that it *is* Spill Resistant?

EDIT:  I see now that the full specs for the replacement model, the E570, still claim a Spill Resistant Keyboard.  Am I missing something here??  If there really *is* supposed to be some sort of spill resistance here, how can a very light sprinkling of white wine ruin the keyboard?  Even most *non* "Spill Resistant" keyboards would readily recover from that kind of event. 

http://psref.lenovo.com/syspool/Sys/PDF/ThinkPad/ThinkPad%20E560/ThinkPad_E560_specs.pdf

http://psref.lenovo.com/syspool/Sys/PDF/ThinkPad/ThinkPad%20E570/ThinkPad_E570_specs.pdf

ntgreene_IBM
Fanfold Paper
Views: 4,234
Message 2 of 4

Re: Thinkpad E560 Spill Resistant keyboard???

It's really in the way the liquid is routed out of the computer and keeps it from or delays liquid from damaging core components. Under the keyboard is one solid plastic housing with a rubber gromet seal that encases the flex cable that connects the keyboard to the system board. usually there are some drain holes that allow the liquid to drain out without touching the system board. On the bottom those drain holes usually are indicated by a droplet icon. Although it is unfortunate this happened, it's likely that the design did its job and protected you from needed a new system board. Keyboards are relatively cheap
and easy to replace. 

Rick441
SCSI Port
Views: 4,219
Message 3 of 4

Thanks for the thoughts.

Yesterday I checked the bottom and couldn't find any drainage holes.  Every hole had a screw in it.  I can't double-check at present, or look for a drainage icon, because I took it to an authorized service center for repair (likely a new keyboard, of course) shortly before seeing your reply.

Lenovo writeups regarding the Spill Resistant keyboard do specifically mention drainage holes (e.g., https://shop.lenovo.com/ISS_Static/WW/AG/merchandising/US/popups/promos/spillresistantkeyboard.html); and the user manual for the T540/W540 specifically points out the drainage holes and their function.  Other than that, the T540/W540 manual's discussion of spills is identical to the E560's, with no further mention of resistance. So even if, as you suggest, the E560 is designed to prevent spillage damage to the system board, IMO it would still be misleading of Lenovo to use the same "Spill Resistant Keyboard" descriptor for both models.

(Just to ensure I was doing an apples-to-apples comparsion, I also looked at the detailed specs sheet and manual for the E540 -- which was available at the same time as the T540/W540, and, similar to the E560, the E540 touted "Spill Resistant Keyboard" in the specs, but there was no mention of drainage holds in the manual.)

ntgreene_IBM
Fanfold Paper
Views: 4,198
Message 4 of 4

I Had a similar experience with a smart phone. Found out that water resistant didn't mean water couldn't damage it, but it had engineering in it to deter it

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors