Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Reyan
Ctrl-Alt-Del
Views: 5,850
Message 1 of 12

Thinkpad E580 - Hard Disk Not Detecting During Windows 7 Professional (64bit) Installation

Hi,

Yesterday I purchased Lenovo Thinkpad E580 with DOS version (S# #######), Now I am trying to install Windows 7 Professional (64bit) but my 1TB hard disk (not SSD drive) doen't automatically detacting for the partitioning, and it is asking for hard disk driver.

I'll appreciate any support to resolve my issue.

UEFI Bios Version: R0PET35W date 22-1-2018.

Mod's Edit: Serial number removed from public view to protect member from its unwanted use.

Machine Type:20KS
Model:20KS0009AD

SeniorGuru
Views: 5,818
Message 2 of 12

Re: Thinkpad E580 - Hard Disk Not Detecting During Windows 7 Professional (64bit) Installation

It sounds like it is trying to use a UEFI boot on the hard disk drive. Windows 7 does not natively support this so you will have to change some bios settings before you get it to install correctly.  Here are some generic steps, but not every BIOS is the same, so you may have to hunt a little bit to find the right areas.

1. Enter BIOS
2. Once in BIOS - configuration section, SATA controller mode = AHCI
3. Under Security, if you see "Reset to Setup Mode" as an option it will turn off secure boot and clear out factory retained OS keys.
4. Under Boot - Change boot mode to "Legacy Support" so Windows 7 can load up correctly.

Once changes have been made, Exit saving changes. The notebook will reboot and you should be good to go at that point.

Good luck.

CB

I do not work for Lenovo, I only provide suggestions based on my personal willingness to help others. All advice and comments are based on my experience, and do not reflect Lenovo policy, terms or conditions.
Reyan
Ctrl-Alt-Del
Views: 5,814
Message 3 of 12

Re: Thinkpad E580 - Hard Disk Not Detecting During Windows 7 Professional (64bit) Installation

Hi,

Thanks for your support appreciaed!

1. I couldn't find any option in Bios to set SATA controller mode = AHCI
  2.  Yes I tried this option but still no hdd available  [Under Security, if you see "Reset to Setup Mode" as an option it will turn off secure boot and clear out factory retained OS keys]
  3. I tried to insall windows 8.1.. i could see hard disk as normal installation.
  4. Still unable to install windows 7 

Lenovo Bios.jpgBiosWindows 7 unable to see HDD.jpgNo HDD to install windows 7

SeniorGuru
Views: 5,810
Message 4 of 12

OK... I will fire up my E570 to see if it matches your screens.... But in specific in BIOS look in Security - set boot mode to "Legacy Support" if there, you may have to find it under startup as well.

Will post back in a few minutes - have to get the E570 plugged in.

CB

I do not work for Lenovo, I only provide suggestions based on my personal willingness to help others. All advice and comments are based on my experience, and do not reflect Lenovo policy, terms or conditions.
Reyan
Ctrl-Alt-Del
Views: 5,806
Message 5 of 12

Hi, here are few more bios screenshots, E580 is with 8th Generation.. not sure if that effect on it ?

20180320_200521.jpgWhen I Enable Secure Boot20180320_200608.jpgUnder Security - these options are here

Reyan
Ctrl-Alt-Del
Views: 5,801
Message 6 of 12

20180320_203506_resized.jpg

SeniorGuru
Views: 5,799
Message 7 of 12

OK.... On my e570 bios the settings are found under security, in there you will see an option for "Secure Boot"  and that is where you will find the "Reset to setup mode" that is needed to clear the internal keys and put the system into a "learning" state for a new OS key when you run Windows Setup.

Begin by disabling secure boot, then go down to reset to setup mode.  Save and exit then try installing from CD.

Good luck.

CB

Reyan
Ctrl-Alt-Del
Views: 5,794
Message 8 of 12

tired it but doesn't help.. 

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 5,784
Message 9 of 12

The problem isn't detection of your HDD.  You're missing USB 3.0 drivers so once the installer gets to that point it can't access the drive from which it was just booted.  If you had an SSD (NVMe for your series of laptop) you'd also need NVMe drivers.

I don't have a link handy, but Intel has a tool for adding the drivers to Win 7 install media.  Give it a Google. I'll try to find it but I'm short on time just now.  Sorry.  One other trick you can do is to use something like live Ubuntu on a flash drive to copy the USB 3.0 drivers onto your HDD in advance and browse for them there during the install.  It doesn't work to put them on a flash drive, since the USB ports aren't usable.

[edit to add link]  https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000017241/mini-pcs.html

If you want to do a UEFI install, enable that in BIOS along with CSM support.  Be advised that Win 7 isn't supported on your machine or CPU so drivers may be hard to come by.

Z.

The large print: please read the Community Participation Rules before posting. Include as much information as possible: model, machine type, operating system, and a descriptive subject line. Do not include personal information: serial number, telephone number, email address, etc.

The fine print: I do not work for, nor do I speak for Lenovo. Unsolicited private messages will be ignored - questions and answers belong in the forum so that others may contribute and benefit. ... GeezBlog

Communities:   English    Deutsch    Español    Português    Русскоязычное    Česká    Slovenská    Українська   Polski    Türkçe    Moto English

Reyan
Ctrl-Alt-Del
Views: 5,734
Message 10 of 12

Great!

Thanks for your time and suppot. Yes it was the problem of USB3.0 drivers

Since E580 doen't have Built-in DVD, I was installing Windows 7 via external USB - DVD.

This is how I fixed the issue:

1. I installed Window 8.1 and created two disk partitions
  2. I copied USB 3.0 Drivers files into D: ( files are availalbe [edit to add link]  https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000017241/mini-pcs.html )
  3. Boot windows with Win 7 Pro (64bit), and when it asked for the drivers, I browse the local D: (x64) and it bring the drivers and my Hard Disk Pop-up
  4. I re-partition it with Windows 7 and make my successful installation.

Hope it'll be helpfull for other folks may have the similar siutaiton like mine.

Thanks you again for support.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors