Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Tov_olek
Fanfold Paper
Views: 7,173
Message 1 of 99

Thinkpad E580 - Radeon RX 550 performance issue

Hi everyone,

Recently I have bought Thinkpad E580 with dedicated GPU (AMD Radeon RX 550), but I am experiencing an awful performance from it. In fact, with some low specs games (eg League of Legends) it only can reach around stable 20-30 FPS what really surprises me as even Intel integrated GPUs are able to achieve better performance with the same graphics configuration. I am aware of the cooling problems of this laptop, however I checked that in-game the machine works under 70 °C so it really doesn't make sense to not work at 100% of utilization. 

I would like to know if others users with the same laptop experienced similar problems and if they find some solution. It annoys me to have a dedicated GPU but don't be able to take advantage of. 

I am running Windows 10 Home 64bits with BIOS 1.19 (14/06/2018). The version of my Intel Graphics 620 is 23.20.16.5018 and of my Radeon 500 Series 24.20.13001.1010. Regarding to my Radeon settings, I have the default values. 

Thanks

Ben95
What's DOS?
Views: 6,821
Message 2 of 99

Re: Thinkpad E580 - Radeon RX 550 performance issue

Hi,

I am having the same issues.

It seems that the integrated Intel GPU wants to bear all the graphics load instead of utilising the RX550.

I have tried disabling integrated graphics but with no effect.

Messing with the intel or amd command center has no obvious affects aswell.

When I launch a game the performance is even worse and in task manager I can see that the RX 550 still isn't being utilised and is just sitting there.

I have no idea who else is having this issue (it seems to me that it should have a simple fix like completely turning off integrated graphics).

Hopefully someone will find a way to fix it!

Tov_olek
Fanfold Paper
Views: 6,805
Message 3 of 99

Hi Ben95,

I also have experienced that with some games the laptop uses Intel GPU instead of Radeon without any option to switch. However, this happened to me with very few games and is not what most bothers me.

Perhaps, in your case, your laptop is using Radeon graphics in-game but due to overheating it is constantly disabling it, so when you inspect resource utilization with the task manager it seems like Radeon GPU is idle.

What I did in order to obtain decent performances was to disable Radeon's GPU drivers. Although I can't use the dedicated graphics, at least I get constant fps and can play decently as the integrated GPU manages better the heat.

@Ben95 wrote:

Hi,

I am having the same issues.

It seems that the integrated Intel GPU wants to bear all the graphics load instead of utilising the RX550.

I have tried disabling integrated graphics but with no effect.

Messing with the intel or amd command center has no obvious affects aswell.

When I launch a game the performance is even worse and in task manager I can see that the RX 550 still isn't being utilised and is just sitting there.

I have no idea who else is having this issue (it seems to me that it should have a simple fix like completely turning off integrated graphics).

Hopefully someone will find a way to fix it!

ttsoftt
Fanfold Paper
Views: 6,552
Message 4 of 99

Advanced thermal management bios 1.14. Rollback to 1.13 (and be cautious on temperature). Hope Lenovo will release some better bios :-(
jwls
Paper Tape
Views: 6,451
Message 5 of 99

Maybe some updates? I've tried to undervolt my CPU by .105V. It affects only the cooler system, so for now my e480 doesn't make a lot of sounds when I goes browsing, etc. But still have an issue connected with RX-550 GPU throttling. E.g. I've tried to play CS GO / DOTA 2, it goes OK only for 15 min, after that it's impossible to watching that slide show.

Tov_olek
Fanfold Paper
Views: 6,436
Message 6 of 99

Hi,

To avoid the fan noise (which is pretty annoying) I installed TFPFanControl (https://thinkwiki.de/TPFanControl), but to solve the RX GPU issue I wasn't able to find other solution rather than disabling it. I believe that the solution stated by @ttsoftt might improve a little the performance but definitely not solve it. 

ttsoftt
Fanfold Paper
Views: 6,396
Message 7 of 99

Might. LOL. Did U try it? For me works fine. No performance variance more. Full throttle, 77°C on GPU sensor, little loud fan. 

BIOS in all versions here: https://pcsupport.lenovo.com/us/cs/products/laptops-and-netbooks/thinkpad-edge-laptops/thinkpad-e580...

Mohsenaagh021
Ctrl-Alt-Del
Views: 6,266
Message 8 of 99

Hi 

If you are faced with display graphics locked on intel integrated and wanna to swich it to rx550 , just have look this link

https://youtu.be/KgTMigKtXZ8

And I would be grateful if anybody could help me with my problem about battery :

https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/ThinkPad-11e-Windows-13-E-and/Problem-about-Lifespan-thinkpad-e580/td-p...

Zoxx273
Paper Tape
Views: 6,132
Message 9 of 99

Same problem here, I have the Lenovo ThinkPad E580 with AMD Radeon RX 550.

I tried all possible performance settings, but the Intel GPU always outperforms the AMD GPU in games. In games like 'League of Legends' and 'StarCraft 2' the AMD GPU seemed to be throttled (either by constantly not running at 100% or having consistent, massive peformance drops every 3 seconds), despite NOT overheating (was running at 55 C). In the game 'Osu!' the AMD GPU is used at 100%, but input lag is present and it runs at ~100FPS, while the Intel GPU runs it at >200FPS easily. However, when I tried running benchmarks, the AMD GPU got better results (as it should) than the Intel GPU, despite performing worse in all games. (Click here to see my Reddit comment with benchmark results)

I tried installing several different drivers for the AMD GPU, but it didn't help. I tried reverting the bios version to version 1.13, which improved StarCraft 2 performance, making the AMD GPU better than the Intel GPU.

There must be a huge issue if Lenovo gave us an update that made the AMD GPU literally useless. Why even sell the models with the AMD GPU, if the Intel GPU surpasses it in every aspect if we're using the latest updates? Are we entitled to some kind of compensation from Lenovo, since the models with the AMD GPU cost more?

evolution17
Paper Tape
Views: 5,480
Message 10 of 99

@Zoxx273 wrote:

Same problem here, I have the Lenovo ThinkPad E580 with AMD Radeon RX 550.

I tried all possible performance settings, but the Intel GPU always outperforms the AMD GPU in games. In games like 'League of Legends' and 'StarCraft 2' the AMD GPU seemed to be throttled (either by constantly not running at 100% or having consistent, massive peformance drops every 3 seconds), despite NOT overheating (was running at 55 C). In the game 'Osu!' the AMD GPU is used at 100%, but input lag is present and it runs at ~100FPS, while the Intel GPU runs it at >200FPS easily. However, when I tried running benchmarks, the AMD GPU got better results (as it should) than the Intel GPU, despite performing worse in all games. (Click here to see my Reddit comment with benchmark results)

I tried installing several different drivers for the AMD GPU, but it didn't help. I tried reverting the bios version to version 1.13, which improved StarCraft 2 performance, making the AMD GPU better than the Intel GPU.

There must be a huge issue if Lenovo gave us an update that made the AMD GPU literally useless. Why even sell the models with the AMD GPU, if the Intel GPU surpasses it in every aspect if we're using the latest updates? Are we entitled to some kind of compensation from Lenovo, since the models with the AMD GPU cost more?

hey bro I have the exact same problem as everyone else. in direct x onboard is currently enabled. how did everyone fix this? in bios I have no display option to fix it on amd. in gfx settings for amd I have no display option either to choose amd only and not the onboard.

my pc is lagging just multiasking with potplayer and stuff running......

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors