Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Patt0
Fanfold Paper
Views: 707
Message 21 of 38

Re: Thinkpad E580 - Radeon RX 550 performance issue

I'm in contact with them through twitter right now. Hopefully something comes out of it.

RiDick
Paper Tape
Views: 669
Message 22 of 38

@Patt0 any word from them yet? And im experience the same throttling issues and frame rate drops. If i had known this i would have bought another laptop. Its like buying a laptop with dgpu that is worse than then igpu.

So what is the best solution to fix this problem? I have read through most trouble shoot issue and forum topics and these are the solution that were stated. However which one, if any, doesnt ruin the machine and give the desired solution.

1. flash bios to 1.13

2. flash bios to earliest bios then go to newest bios

3. throttling cpu power input

4. buying another adapter with higher output

5. energy management tool and set up a gaming profile to minimize frame rate drops

6. set game grahics back to stone age (this actually works if you go down from full screen to 1280x720)

Any advice would be great,

Patt0
Fanfold Paper
Views: 661
Message 23 of 38

Beside the typical please install latest drivers and tell if the problem persists I haven't yet received proper help. And yeah, it's painful knowing that you paid for the addition of RX550 but you can't even use it properly.

The solution with downgrade of the bios could potentially help but is risky due to the security holes that were fixed in later versions.

Flashing older and then newer version won't change anything so that's out of the question.

Throttling CPU might help as the problem seems to be thermal in nature but I have yet to test it.

Adapter in this case won't change anything as I mentioned earlier the problem seem to be thermal.

With the game settings the best you can do is to improve framerate when the gpu throttles, as in you won't avoid it happening but you can make it more bearable.

Will keep you guys posted if throttling cpu somewhat helps and whether there are any news from Lenovo.

Patt0
Fanfold Paper
Views: 650
Message 24 of 38

Throttling CPU didn't really help. I'm not suprised either.

Is there any way to throtthle the GPU? Maybe it's possbile to slightly lower it's performance which would lower power dissipation and in turn avoid heavy thermal throttling.

ttsoftt
Fanfold Paper
Views: 598
Message 25 of 38

SY, boys, I really wonder what are you talking about. So I'll try to use more literaly style, not my telegraphic as usual, to explain:

I DID bios reroll to 1.13 and all my "RX550 performance issue" has gone immediately. So - on my E580 - it is approved solution. And there were times, when this bios was actual and worked on some machines, it cannot be hazardous so much. So i have been using 1.13, and I am waiting, if lenovo ingeneers wake up and release some bios, which can solve our problem (beside other updates).

And my advise to you? Download bios 1.13 and actual one; take your machine offline, and make sure your fan holes are not covered; try to flash bios by 1.13 as i did; test it, it might be near 80°C; reflash to newest, if you prefer (not to risk to harm anything) - and after all: reconnect and tell us about your real experience, not about "it might" - sorry, "it might" about solution i am sucessfully using - it makes me little irritated, hope you understand :-). Wouldnt it be worth the try?

I am not trying to rob you, i am trying to help you, dear Bilbo :-)

Patt0
Fanfold Paper
Views: 590
Message 26 of 38

After finding some time today I did downgrade bios to version 1.13 and I can confirm that the throttling problem disappears. I have forwarded this info to Lenovo and supposedly they have this problem reported internally. Hopefuly something comes out of it quickly as I don't feel comfortable introducing security holes just so I can play a game.

I will later try to flash version 1.14 of bios to check whether my theory of thermal management changes introduced in this version being the culprit is correct.

Patt0
Fanfold Paper
Views: 584
Message 27 of 38

In case somebody was wondering, I wasn't able to alter clock speed or any other parameters like that of the GPU.

ttsoftt
Fanfold Paper
Views: 581
Message 28 of 38

So wasn´t I. RX550 is propably not manageable. And maybe i am forgetfull or a daydreamer, but i have distant remarks of unsucessfull trying bios 1.15. Not sure about it.

evolution17
Paper Tape
Views: 563
Message 29 of 38

@Patt0 wrote:

After finding some time today I did downgrade bios to version 1.13 and I can confirm that the throttling problem disappears. I have forwarded this info to Lenovo and supposedly they have this problem reported internally. Hopefuly something comes out of it quickly as I don't feel comfortable introducing security holes just so I can play a game.

I will later try to flash version 1.14 of bios to check whether my theory of thermal management changes introduced in this version being the culprit is correct.

how did you figure it wasn't throttling? in a game or? I'm looking at task manager and the 2 GPUs. my 550 is hardly being used. my pc is laggy running a movie on potplayer, loading a folder on a drive and loading chrome at the same time, potplayer takes the priority then loading chrome takes like 20 seconds. it's even worse loading a page on chrome like 3 tabs it is so ooooo slow.

jwls
Paper Tape
Views: 556
Message 30 of 38

Hi,
So my best solution for now for increasing fps in games was reverting BIOS to 1.13. Also I've tried to use ThrottleStop for a little bit decrease voltage of CPU.
ThrottleStop settings:
- Enable `Speed Shift` feature;
- Enable `C1E` feature;
- Enable `SpeedStep` feature;
- Go to `FIVR` and decrease CPU core and CPU cache offset voltage with -100.6mV. Also check Turbo Ratio Limits for each core and set the maximum possible value. In my case it 34;
- When you are going to play something or making any other hard work set `Speed Shift` to 1. It sets the maximum frequency of our lovely Core i5-8250U;
(It's my own ThrottleStop settings, for being in the know try to understand how ThrottleStop works in general)
As a result I've got average stable 100 FPS in CS GO with lowest settings.
Maybe it'll be helpful. Thanks.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors