Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
melotron
Paper Tape
Views: 4,740
Message 1 of 11

Thinkpad E580 connected but not charging

I have a Thinkpad E580 connected to a ThinkPad Hybrid USB-C with USB-A Dock.

Several times the battery has been drained while connected. The battery status says "not charging".

Right now the battery is down to 37 percent. The Lenovo Vantage app says that it is connected to the 60W dock.

Does anyone have a tip how to fix this?

GodofThunder901
What's DOS?
Views: 3,862
Message 2 of 11

Re: Thinkpad E580 connected but not charging

I'm having the same issue. When I plug in at the start of my day, it's a crap shoot. Sometimes it starts charging. Ususally it doesn't. If I disconnect and reconnect the USB-C cable, it generally starts charging again. After doing so, later in the day, it often stops charging. Unplugging and replugging has already caused my E580 to bluescreen, so it's not a great solution. 

I have seen another thread regarding a different laptop model having this same issue. They mentioned that the USB-C plug in the back of the docking station is the one with sufficient power. This doens't help me, because when I use that, it disconnects all keyboards, monitors and mice attached to the docking station. There was a BIOS trick that didn't work for me, but that may have been a model specific fix. I've updated the driver and firmware, but that hasn't helped either. This needs a real solution. My E580 laptop only has one USB-C port and that is it's power/charging port. This means that there is no way to plug into power separately. If power isn't coming through that Type-C port, it's not coming at all. 

The specific docking station model is Lenovo 40A9. Hope somebody can help us! 

mmayssf
Punch Card
Views: 3,704
Message 3 of 11

We're having this issue with several E580s at the office, plugged into Lenovo USB-C docks (model 40A9). We are using the dock's rear USB-C port, the 90W adapter that comes with the dock, and the USB-C cable that comes with the dock. The power icon in the system tray shows "Plugged in, not charging" even as the battery drains, until it eventually dies in the mid afternoon. All external devices connected to the dock are functional. The issue is triggered by a shutdown, and is resolved by unplugging/re-plugging the dock cable to the laptop - however, this has to be done after every shutdown and should really not be considered a permanent solution for a $200 dock.

Given they are used all day, it seems like they are getting some power, but not enough to actually charge the battery, so it pulls what it can from the AC current and takes the rest from the battery - hence why it lasts into the afternoon. This may be corroborated by the original poster's comment that Lenovo Vantage shows it plugged in to a 60W supply (not sure if this is normal given that some of the 90W goes to powering the dock).

I've posted to Lenovo's Twitter account about this with a link to this thread and encourage anyone else who reads this to do the same so we can get some attention on this issue, since Lenovo hasn't responded to it and it's been out there since March of this year.

EDIT:

From Lenovo support Twitter account:

Sorry for the trouble. We haven't received an advisory for any common issue with this machine and dock. Our support group are already aware of this, in the meantime, let's wait for updates to fix this issue. -Bobby_Lenovo

Martijn40
Paper Tape
Views: 3,593
Message 4 of 11

Same issue here, exactly like described by mmayssf

"We're having this issue with several E580s at the office, plugged into Lenovo USB-C docks (model 40A9). We are using the dock's rear USB-C port, the 90W adapter that comes with the dock, and the USB-C cable that comes with the dock. The power icon in the system tray shows "Plugged in, not charging" even as the battery drains, until it eventually dies in the mid afternoon. All external devices connected to the dock are functional. The issue is triggered by a shutdown, and is resolved by unplugging/re-plugging the dock cable to the laptop - however, this has to be done after every shutdown and should really not be considered a permanent solution for a $200 dock."

This is the second issue we have with this 40A9 dock. The first one is with flickering screens, exactly like in this thread:

https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/ThinkPad-11e-Windows-13-E-and/Lenovo-E480-usb-c-dock-problem-with-monit...

Unfortuantely the firmware nor BIOS upgrade solved the problem (Which does for a E480 apparently) The dockingstation and USB-C cable have been replaced by Lenovo, without luckk. In the forum someone mentioned he ordered a thunderbolt cable (100W model) which solved his problem. I already ordered one, will let you know if this fixes the problems with this dock.

littlebloke
Blue Screen Again
Views: 3,580
Message 5 of 11

Same issue, E580 with the Hybrid Doc does not charge. This is supposed to be a feature of the Dock is it not?

Asub
What's DOS?
Views: 3,074
Message 6 of 11

Seems not to be a isolated issue. My office also have the exact same problem. The notepad charges through the normal 65 W charger but not through the dock. Do you have a solution Lenovo?

@Martijn40 wrote:

Same issue here, exactly like described by mmayssf

"We're having this issue with several E580s at the office, plugged into Lenovo USB-C docks (model 40A9). We are using the dock's rear USB-C port, the 90W adapter that comes with the dock, and the USB-C cable that comes with the dock. The power icon in the system tray shows "Plugged in, not charging" even as the battery drains, until it eventually dies in the mid afternoon. All external devices connected to the dock are functional. The issue is triggered by a shutdown, and is resolved by unplugging/re-plugging the dock cable to the laptop - however, this has to be done after every shutdown and should really not be considered a permanent solution for a $200 dock."

This is the second issue we have with this 40A9 dock. The first one is with flickering screens, exactly like in this thread:

https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/ThinkPad-11e-Windows-13-E-and/Lenovo-E480-usb-c-dock-problem-with-monit...

Unfortuantely the firmware nor BIOS upgrade solved the problem (Which does for a E480 apparently) The dockingstation and USB-C cable have been replaced by Lenovo, without luckk. In the forum someone mentioned he ordered a thunderbolt cable (100W model) which solved his problem. I already ordered one, will let you know if this fixes the problems with this dock.

Did you try the thunderbolt cable if so did it work?

Asub
What's DOS?
Views: 3,061
Message 7 of 11

Did you try the thunderbolt cable if so did it work?
Martijn40
Paper Tape
Views: 3,060
Message 8 of 11

We are using the new thunderbolt cable now. Must say it improved, but not for the full 100%. Still de randoming flickering pixels occur, but less often and less anoying. It did not fix the charging issue though.

mmayssf
Punch Card
Views: 2,866
Message 9 of 11

There's a firmware update (3.7B) that addresses the flickering pixels and screen flashing. For whatever reason, Lenovo hasn't seen fit yet to update it on their resource pages for the dock and it's not available through Lenovo Vantage or Lenovo System Update, even though it was released over two months ago.

Run the update as administrator, and when it completes successfully, power cycle the dock by removing power to it (not the laptop) and then plugging back in.

Jon-EMS
What's DOS?
Views: 346
Message 10 of 11

Any updates on the charging port issues on the ThinkPad E580 a couple months out of a 1-Year warranty? Repair estimates were around $300 for a used system board. There apears to be a design flaw with how these work and wondering if Lenovo has issued a factory recall on this particular issue by any chance?

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors