Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
BrianGraham
Paper Tape
Views: 3,081
Message 1 of 4

Thinkpad E580 fingerprint scanner not working

My 3 week old Thinkpad is not accepting any fingerprints. I have tried wiping the scanner clean, and in device manager it says that the biometric system is working properly. 

MC84
What's DOS?
Views: 1,034
Message 2 of 4

Re: Thinkpad E580 fingerprint scanner not working

This is not a definive solution but works almost everytime you have this tedious problem.

Go to the Device Manager, look for the Biometric Devices (Synaptics WBDI - SGX). Unistall it and then go to Action/Scan for hardware changes.

Hope it works for you!

thinkpade580
What's DOS?
Views: 616
Message 3 of 4

I bought thinkpad for a reliable machine boasting to my wife that it is used at space station. She rolled her eyes clacking at her macbook. Ever since this block (e580) arrived I ran into one after another issue. First the wifi adapter wont work. Found solution through reddit community to install a specific version of driver. Only after I had fixed that, the finger print sensor caved in. I pray to god that they aren't using this laptop version on space station.

__Vincent__
What's DOS?
Views: 175
Message 4 of 4

Hi thinkpade580,

I bought the same computer and I did encounter the same issue for the finger print sensor and another with the touchpad. These issues are really minors (they are easily fixable and not related directly to the hardware). If you have somebody to blame it's more Intel or Synaptics for the driver and even thought you just have to uninstall/reinstall these drivers by using the device manager and actualising the list of devices. Windows will install the good drivers (signed drivers for your hardware) and voilà.

The only real problem is the power button which suffer from a bad mechanical design which result in a weird feeling when pressed however it didn't affect the performances of the computer.

Personnaly I think this computer is a pleasure to maintain. Really it's easy to find new pieces and to upgrade (SSD, WiFi adapter, HDD, RAM are accessible).

Compared to another laptop from another brand, it does not crash due to a buggy BIOS. This computer is stable and in the high part of mid range computers. I have 16 Gio of RAM, a SSD (250 Gio), an i7 and a graphic card (RX550). Sure it's not for playing games but this computer is polyvalent. It can handle light video editing (I've tested shotcut with 1080p 60 FPS rushs -> it's working fine and uses the GPU), programmation (C, C++ compilation), 3D design (FreeCad, SolidWorks, etcs.), photo editing (Gimp), etc.

Also the BIOS is updated many times each year which means that they care of theirs products.

I hope this can help you to solve your problem and other to make a choice,

Vincent

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors