Did you mean: 
Highlighted
kartoffelgpnst
Paper Tape
Views: 420
Message 1 of 21

Thinkpad E585 - external monitor Dell U2312HM - Resolutionchange not possible

Hello community,

I just recently got my Thinkpad E585 which is great with an AMD Ryzen 5 2500U with Radeon Vega 8 Mobile graphics.

Native resolution is 1920x1080, which is also the resolution of plugged in external monitor, the Dell U2312HM.

Problem is:

I can't change the resolution of the external monitor, either on desktop nor in any game.

Latest systemdrivers and graphicsdrivers are installed, for the Thinkpad as well as for the Dell monitor.

The monitor is connected via Displayport to HDMI, which worked fine before with my Dell laptop 15R 5537 (an Intel graphics laptop).

I only use the external monitor, not the laptop display.

When I use the laptop display I can change to any resolution I like, espacially lower resolutions like 1024x768 stretched.

Thanks for any help!

kartoffelgpnst
Paper Tape
Views: 418
Message 2 of 21

Re: Thinkpad E585 - external monitor Dell U2312HM - Resolutionchange not possible

Here are my radeon settings.

dcbbleo
Punch Card
Views: 383
Message 3 of 21

Re: Thinkpad E585 - external monitor Dell U2312HM - Resolutionchange not possible

Are you using Radeon settings or Windows display settings? (Desktop >right click > Display Settings)

dcbbleo
Punch Card
Views: 383
Message 4 of 21

Granted, I'm using the HDMI port so it might be work differently.

kartoffelgpnst
Paper Tape
Views: 376
Message 5 of 21

Both, I can't change it in windows settings.

Even advanced settings and display all modi doesn't bring more options up.

I can add custom resolutions in the radeon settings, but they dont show up in the drop down menu.

dcbbleo
Punch Card
Views: 332
Message 6 of 21

My last post seems to have been deleted, so I'll keep this one short and hope there's nothing rule-breaking in it...

Try installing the Dell drivers in compatibility mode.

For game performance, you could try reducing the render scale in the game if it supports the option.

For larger desktop items, you could increase desktop scaling.

kartoffelgpnst
Paper Tape
Views: 321
Message 7 of 21

Noooo!

Just saw your longer post on mobile and really appreciate the detailled answer!

Maybe you can send it to me via mail: [redacted]

That would be really nice.

Nevertheless I will try your latest answer tomorrow when I'm at work.

Best regards!

Admin note; email address removed to prevent potential abuse.

kartoffelgpnst
Paper Tape
Views: 297
Message 8 of 21

Okay so I tried your method, but it didn't work for me.

It's the same driver I downloaded before.

I tested in compatibility mode, then installed them again, no change.

It's crazy, that it's not working, with other laptop it works just fine.

Administrator
Administrator
Views: 260
Message 9 of 21

@kartoffelgpnst wrote:

The monitor is connected via Displayport to HDMI,

Hello,

A question. The E585 doesn't have a Display Port and as such will not support it natively, exactly how is the notebook connected to the display; which cables and adapters?

Andy

English Community Leader
Please remember to come back and mark the post that you feel solved your question as the solution, it earns the member + points 
Did you find a post helpfull? You can thank the member by clicking on the star below their post awarding them Kudos

Please don't ask me questions by Personal Message; questions belong in the forums.

Communities:   English    Deutsche    Español    Português    Русскоязычное    Česká    Slovenská    Українська   Język Polski    Moto English

kartoffelgpnst
Paper Tape
Views: 256
Message 10 of 21

Well as stated above, its connected via DisplayPort to HDMI cable.

No adapters, DisplayPort output from the monitor, HDMI plugged into the Thinkpad.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors