cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
dcbbleo
Punch Card
Views: 199
Message 11 of 20

Re: Thinkpad E585 - external monitor Dell U2312HM - Resolutionchange not possible

Could it be the cable you are using? Is it a cable with HDMI and Displayport on either end or an adapter connecting a HDMI to HDMI cable? USB-C to HDMI?

The only other tests, which would be a bit difficult, would be to try the cables on a different device (like a recent smartphone with USB-C) or a different OS.

Have you tried the software solutions? Scaling and in-game settings?

Administrator
Administrator
Views: 167
Message 12 of 20

Re: Thinkpad E585 - external monitor Dell U2312HM - Resolutionchange not possible

HDMI to DP cable, which is what you say you have, was never qualified / tested on the E585 so unfortunately no guartees it can work. One solution would be an USB-C docking and then connect from the docking's DP to the DP on the display.

Andy

English Community Leader
Please remember to come back and mark the post that you feel solved your question as the solution, it earns the member + points 
Did you find a post helpfull? You can thank the member by clicking on the star below their post awarding them Kudos

Please don't ask me questions by Personal Message; questions belong in the forums.

Communities:   English    Deutsche    Español    Português    Русскоязычное    Česká    Slovenská    Українська   Język Polski    Moto English

kartoffelgpnst
Paper Tape
Views: 149
Message 13 of 20

Its not the cable, it worked just fine on another laptop.

There is no adapter, its just the cable.

I tried software solutions, nothing works.

kartoffelgpnst
Paper Tape
Views: 148
Message 14 of 20

Okay so my question then is:

Does anyone have a E585 with any external display and is able to downscale resolution, so I know its this combination?

dcbbleo
Punch Card
Views: 132
Message 15 of 20

Hdmi works fine. I've been meaning to get a small USB-C hub with ethernet and hdmi so the following post might give me something to watch out for as well.

Apparently, some ideapad users discovered that their usb-c  port might not be implemented fully. Perhaps you are having a similar issue.

As a matter of fact, I have an old Lenovo ThinkCentre with a Displayport port that was built without audio transmission...

It could also be a usb 3.1 vs 3.0 issue with the cable... random guessing...

https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/Lenovo-IdeaPad-1xx-3xx-5xx-7xx/320-15IKB-USB-Type-C-to-HDMI-not-working...

dcbbleo
Punch Card
Views: 123
Message 16 of 20

There's an Acer support page mentioning that some of their monitors might need to be specifically set to DP Alt Mode.

It also specifies that the USB-C display logo indicates official support.

Looks like this is not as straightforward as we'd all hope.

https://us.answers.acer.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/48481/~/how-to-connect-a-computer-with-usb-c-por...

dcbbleo
Punch Card
Views: 113
Message 17 of 20

Sorry for the multiple posts; I'm in the market for a usb-c travel hub so this is part of my shopping.

There seems to be some consideration required regarding Displayport Alt Mode vs plain Displayport vs HDMI Alt Mode...

https://superuser.com/questions/1192638/whats-up-with-hdmi-and-displayport-over-usb-c

Lenovo's dock lists compatibility with our E585, but it only has 2x DP and 1x VGA (No HDMI)...

https://www.lenovo.com/ca/en/accessories-and-monitors/docking/universal-cable-docks-usb/Thinkpad-USB...

kartoffelgpnst
Paper Tape
Views: 89
Message 18 of 20

But then my HDMI port would be the problem?
Because I'm not using the USB C port for the monitor?

Highlighted
kartoffelgpnst
Paper Tape
Views: 86
Message 19 of 20

Didn't understand it all, but I guess a possible solution could be getting a USB-C to DisplayPort cable?

Or did I get something wrong?

dcbbleo
Punch Card
Views: 73
Message 20 of 20

Oh wow! I was on the wrong track all along! I thought you were going from your USB-C (which uses Displayport protocol) to the monitor's hdmi. I just checked (which I should have done before) and that monitor doesn't have hdmi, only displayport and dvi.

I'm so sorry. The hdmi port on our 585 is definitely NOT the problem. I haven't seen many instances where people needed to go from hdmi-out to displayport-in because hdmi input on monitors is more common.

My recommendation is to use the dvi port if you can find a cheap adapter. Dvi-hdmi conversion was supposed to be more straightforward so I'm pretty sure it will work.

Why did you choose the displayport?

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors