Fanfold Paper
Views: 615
Message 11 of 87

Re: Thinkpad E590 - Radeon RX 550 performance issue

Hi Amy.

I haven't tried with League of Legends.

The issue is the same as in this thread:

"Thinkpad E580 - Radeon RX 550 performance issue"

There is a severe issue with the BIOS configuration that cause the RX 550X to throttle and the the integrated intel graphics to take over.

You can see this happening in this video @ 15:32:

This has nothing to do with OS drivers. It is the BIOS settings for which there is currently no update which fixes this problem.

I would like to speak to someone about returning this product and obtaining a refund.

Thanks.

Lenovo Employee AmyYu
Lenovo Employee
Views: 611
Message 12 of 87

I did not receive the video file, could you please send me again?

Perhaps I can ask the BIOS owner to do something if it is really a BIOS bug.

Tomy_Silver
Punch Card
Views: 579
Message 13 of 87

@AmyYu wrote:

I did not receive the video file, could you please send me again?

Perhaps I can ask the BIOS owner to do something if it is really a BIOS bug.

Hi Amy,

I have tested/researched this issue and here are the findings:

• Tested on LOL, PES19, StreetFightet V
  • Games started very well and began choking/lagging behavior after 1 min.
  • lagging is in form of spikes, like it keeps switching between high performance and low performance cards.
  • quite temperature increase in the surface area on top of Fn keys.
  • Tried latest Video card Drivers from Lenovo and from AMD with no luck.
  • Tried all BIOS versions from the beginning to the latest with no luck.
  • Tried to set the laptop setting to maximize graphics performance using GameBar windows settings, AMD setting and power settings with no luck.
  • Behavior disappears after I disable my AMD graphics card.

Research findings:

• E590 and E580 laptops with switchable graphics have the exact same behavior, we have been focusing on E580 thread in this forum, which forum admins didn't like, because E580 is older and widely spread than E590 which mean more users and more samples.
  • Lenovo has introduced a thermal management mechanism to contain the overheating cased by external GPU in terms of load balancing between external GPU and integrated one which is done through BIOS and through drivers
  • E580 users has a workaround, compromising security, by rolling back to a very old BIOS version but E590 users don't because the oldest BIOS version came after thermal management feature was introduced.

Final Notes:

• why i don't follow mainstream support channels? because i don't have international warranty and I bought my laptop from Saudi Arabia and am now located in Egypt and you can imagine the complexity of my support rights situation, more over this is not by any means an individual issue, this is a faulty feature.
  • I tried to get a tech support over the chat yesterday and waited for 40m before I decided to get outta queue.
  • I'm an engineer myself, I followed a responsible and professional steps verifying this issue.
Highlighted
gappy_p
Fanfold Paper
Views: 560
Message 14 of 87

Hi Amy.

I 100% agree with Tomy_Silver in what he said in his latest post.

Here are the video links:

https://youtu.be/0bPz40BZhAg?t=931

https://youtu.be/2B9aL-YguuM

https://youtu.be/Ut-gmPrnyu0

I also work as an engineer and have been professional/ethical in trying to diagnose the issue.

Tomy_Silver, have you noticed that you can force the switching to Intel graphics to occur straight away by partially covering the underside air intakes (depending on application).

I have been dealing with the Australian/NZ customer service manager in trying to obtain a refund for this badly designed product. He is refusing to budge from his stance that this laptop was designed to be a business laptop and not for gaming.

I understand this but:

1. When you advertise a product as integrating certain components (i.e. the RX 550X) they should perform to a reasonable capacity (the thermal throttling of the RX 550X at present is not reasonable)
  2. I will be using this for architectural CAD and simulation work that make use of 3d graphics. I have encountered these sporadic frame rate drops when working with these programs also. I am demonstrating the issue using games because it happens more frequently and is easier to explain.

Essentially the RX 550X with the current BIOS thermal managment configuration is unusable. Had I know this I may as well purchased the variant of the E590 that didn't include the RX 550X.

Cheers. Garrick. 

Tomy_Silver
Punch Card
Views: 556
Message 15 of 87

@gappy_p wrote:

Tomy_Silver, have you noticed that you can force the switching to Intel graphics to occur straight away by partially covering the underside air intakes (depending on application).

I have been tried the same logic with opposite procedure as Egypt has already hot weather, so when I apply direct cold air to the top surface area of the laptop the performance is being enhanced until I stop.

@gappy_p wrote:

I have been dealing with the Australian/NZ customer service manager in trying to obtain a refund for this badly designed product. He is refusing to budge from his stance that this laptop was designed to be a business laptop and not for gaming.

This was not a smart way of customer handling, using games here is just the fast and easy way to demonstrate our issue, surely easier than rendering a 3D model or encoding a video, we are just trying to cut it short so that Lenovo engineer can start working at the issue.

And maybe this is the issue, we are engineers/developers talking here to regular staff, is there anyway we can raise a support ticket? can anybody help us do that?

I hope Amy will support, he/she was the first one offering to loop an tech guy...

Lenovo Employee AmyYu
Lenovo Employee
Views: 514
Message 16 of 87

I will feedback to the BIOS owner and see if anything can help you to solve this problem.

Tomy_Silver
Punch Card
Views: 484
Message 17 of 87

@AmyYu wrote:

I will feedback to the BIOS owner and see if anything can help you to solve this problem.

Thank you Amy Heart, much appreciated

gappy_p
Fanfold Paper
Views: 479
Message 18 of 87

Thank you also Amy.

gelosea
Paper Tape
Views: 407
Message 19 of 87

This problem also relates to Thinkpad E580 (https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/ThinkPad-11e-Windows-13-E-and/Thinkpad-E580-Radeon-RX-550-performance-i...).

While I understand the need for a seperate topic, it might help to consider all of the available information in order to resolve this issue as quickly as possible.

Thank you for your effort.
Lenovo Employee AmyYu
Lenovo Employee
Views: 370
Message 20 of 87

Could you please help to confirm What the BIOS version is on your E590?

https://pcsupport.lenovo.com/us/zh/products/laptops-and-netbooks/thinkpad-edge-laptops/thinkpad-e590...

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors