Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Gowell_Kim
Paper Tape
Views: 491
Message 81 of 95

Re: Thinkpad E590 - Radeon RX 550 performance issue

<1.10>
- [Important] Update microcode for V-0 (Whiskey Lake-U42)
- (New) Enable foolproof function.
- (Fix) Intel Sighting: Fixed USB CAMERA lost issue.

Ah, I find it.

I upgraded my E590 to Version 1.10.

It make Still good performance with RX550X when I play League of Legends. 

League of Legends (TM) Client 2019-09-19 오후 7_13_24_LI.jpghw monitor.PNGresource monitor.PNG

TomasTregl
Blue Screen Again
Views: 469
Message 82 of 95

Excuse my maybe dumb question, but - "LoL" - isn´t it that clasic 3P pseudo-3D-izo? This type of game has no real need of GPU (of course it is used to make "flash-splash" efects), but ... it is not like 1P full 3D real-word - for ex - imagine... grass sea of Dothraki?. To acknowledge problem removal there should be full load (over 1GHz GPU core)  for minimal 10 mins without problems, the longer the better. W3 gets GPU core even to 1,5GHz on E580, resulting overheating (and throtling) in 3-5 mins, how much core load you can get from LoL? 600MHz? That wont make your cofee hot :-)

[Edit: Ok, I see, 1200Mhz - i underestimated your game :-) but Utilization=24% is that i was talking about... no full load ]

The problem i think we are talking is not that there are no games playable, but that there are games, whose minimal configuration should be satisfied by RX550, but notebook cannot cool it - and in that moment GPU is "switched off", resulting game is uplayable. And so we are on edge of customer deception, cause NB with this components and parameters raises expectations which cannot be fulfilled.

Highlighted
Hypixus
Fanfold Paper
Views: 462
Message 83 of 95

Anwser is simple - if you dont limit your frames its rendering as much as possible it renders 165 on highest settings -it can make clock go all the way up. League seems not to be a demanding game until you get into rather flashy teamfights where effects, shaders and every possible graphics demands come to place.

Gowell_Kim
Paper Tape
Views: 407
Message 84 of 95

I also all agree with your opinion too; = E590 cannot satisfy RX 550's cooling Requirements;

In Bios 1.17, I couldn't play any Low-Spec-Game(Like WarCraft3, League of Legends) and FULL-HD movie with RX 550  Because of Terrible Throttling Issue.

My Intention is just that if anyone has same Terrible Throttling Issue like me, Lowering BIOS version can help them play Low-end games with RX 550.

Gowell_Kim
Paper Tape
Views: 402
Message 85 of 95

Unfortunatlly,  In teamfights, FPS go down to 100~90 at highest option. But it is playable FPS on 60Hz display.

In BIOS version 1.17, FPS go down to 7~10 every few Second Because of Throttling Issue.

Tomy_Silver
Punch Card
Views: 399
Message 86 of 95

@Gowell_Kim wrote:

Unfortunatlly,  In teamfights, FPS go down to 100~90 at highest option. But it is playable FPS on 60Hz display.

In BIOS version 1.17, FPS go down to 7~10 every few Second Because of Throttling Issue.

Your observation was very accurate, LOL game is not graphics power demanding in general until you get in gangs and all champs come together to fight. But I think in warmer environments/countries you can notice FPS is lowering to so much more than that.

Saying that, I play Fifa 19 as a test for the issue or any other graphics intensive games.
maybe some older BIOS versions are handling it better than others, but I tried them all and none of them I can confirm to be a solution for the issue.

I cannot see any other reliable solution for this issue for us, customers, and for Lenovo but to build a software switch that can temporarily disables thermal management features while there is need for graphics power.

Hypixus
Fanfold Paper
Views: 341
Message 87 of 95

As I mentioned before, you can get perfectly stable 60 fps with full screen, unlocked fps(IN-GAME, not in AMD drivers!) full hd and v-sync on, IF you set character and environment quality to Very High, effects to Medium and shadows to Off. I personally change character quality to medium to make absolutely sure that it wont disappoint me during even the worst case gpu scenario (elder dragon teamfight with everyone using their abilities at once). Those can apply to different games as well, but I won't bet that TW3 will be capable of running this way. However, in League (so far) I didn't notice single choke, using settings above and AMD game profile set as below:Annotation 2019-09-19 124119.pngAMD League of Legends profile.

As you can see, its a maximum performance mode - I turned off every setting that may cause graphics to get even remotely worked up, yet AMD Chill is a thing that controls framerate preety efficiently. You can read preety decent explanation about what those mean on official amd site, and experiment with those yourself. After applying those I can notice performance choke in very first second of the match (most propably thanks to still compiling the shaders), but afterwards you have 60 fps no matter what. If you're still unsure about whether those work well - or want to apply higher protection for more demanding games - you can block CPU load with Windows power options to prevent heating up the fan more than AMD does already god **bleep** well:

jeifdiuiewfhufurhuirea.pngHow to get to CPU load settings.Setting it to ~70% allowed me to play Payday 2 with little to low chokes. Hope this will help other players out here to enjoy their games. If you notice my settings to be not optimal, please write so - I have email notifications about new posts in this thread (yes, my hope that Lenovo actually cares about their cheap product lineup exists, but it fades away bit by bit everyday...)

shihabkhan1
Paper Tape
Views: 286
Message 88 of 95

I'm having the same issue.

I recently bought this laptop. Can't play 2009 games on this machine due to the framerate drops. Such an embarrassment.

My BIOS is 1.17 and all the drivers are up to date.

Does anybody recommend a reinstall of windows?

TomasTregl
Blue Screen Again
Views: 266
Message 89 of 95

shihabkhan1: If you will read this whole thread carefully, i hope you can found your re easily; but shotly: Noone, maybe except any who tries to help but with no real experience. Windows reinstall on long used machines sure can lower CPU load, but not so significantly to avoid GPU overheating completely. Vacuum-cleaning your ventilation system (do with care) may help a bit better in such case, but even that is not enough. Solutions that are functional: 1) use old bios (1.13 on E580, tested, aproved by all comunity; 1.08 on E590, not commonly aproved yet) 2) play less performance demanding games (LoL, for ex) with shadowing switched off 3) (mine personally tested, by comunity yet not approved solution): add external cooling 

Hypixus
Fanfold Paper
Views: 242
Message 90 of 95

Thanks for the input about my fan control solution, I thought messing with those is actually a good idea. At first i thought that 4700 RPM is the limit, but after reading more in the settings I made a different config, using up a special mode which seems to me like literally overclocking the fan - up to 6000 RPM.

Just try it by picking 64 in Manual mode of TPFanControl. Its gloriously loud... and somewhat effective? I can play more games with no issues - not just league like before. I edited the smart mode 2 for it to keep the smart mode one unharmed. To change to it, just pick an "Overdrive" option in menu of TPFanControl that appears after right clicking the icon.

MenuLabelSM2=Overdrive/  Label for Icon Menu, must be terminated by '/'

Level2=30 0
Level2=40 3
Level2=50 7
Level2=60 7
Level2=70 64
Level2=80 64
Level2=90 128

As you can see, it goes for overdrive as soon as CPU hits the 70 degrees, and in emergency sets back to bios control. In my daily usage I never saw CPU drop below 38°C, therefore here my fans go usual speeds - until heavy loads kick in. Most of the games make the GPU sweat in somewhat similar speed as CPU (thanks to having the same heat pipe for both...) therefore we can assume we will make the overdrive mode kick in before our AMD overheats. Remember - higher fan speeds work only if you let your fan breathe, so consider having the back of your laptop held higher - in my case ~5cm thick book was enough. It works - I managed to crank up to something I'd call medium settings with Full HD in PAYDAY 2 and play 1366x768 Low TW3 (!) with no hiccups. Try it out yourselves, but first make sure it is not damaging your stuff! Again, I'm not responsible for anything you do!

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors