Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
thomasa123
What's DOS?
Views: 1,871
Message 1 of 95

Thinkpad E590 - Radeon RX 550 performance issue

I have bought a Thinkpad E590 with Radeon RX 550 but I have a performance issue. Windows10 and all Radeon drivers are up to date. Still I can not turn on the Radeon in game, so it is running on integrated VGA that is awful for a game like GTAV. I have red is the same problem also with the E580 model. I would like to use my dedicated vga. How can I do that? Is there a specific bios upgrade/downgrade? Thank you. 

Lenovo Employee AmyYu
Lenovo Employee
Views: 1,821
Message 2 of 95

Re: Thinkpad E590 - Radeon RX 550 performance issue

So you means that the Radeon only cannot be turned on in the Game(GTAV),right?

thomasa123
What's DOS?
Views: 1,791
Message 3 of 95

I only have this game, maybe somebody else has this problem also. I can wait for other opinions. Thank you.

Tomy_Silver
Punch Card
Views: 1,627
Message 4 of 95

@thomasa123 wrote:

I only have this game, maybe somebody else has this problem also. I can wait for other opinions. Thank you.

This issue is widely discussed in the following post, please follow and contribute so maybe Lenovo engineers would talk actions.
The issue is related to misconfigured bios throttling mechanism which leads to this bad behavior.

Lenovo Employee AmyYu
Lenovo Employee
Views: 1,594
Message 5 of 95

Open Windows settings->Gaming->Game bar->Graphics settings->Choose an app to set preference

If you APP is a Classic app which is downloaded from website, choose Classic app and then click browse button to add your app, and then set graphics specifications to High performance, then the RX550 can be turned on.

If you APP is a Universal app which is downloaded from website, choose Universal app and then click browse button to add your app, and then set graphics specifications to High performance, then the RX550 can be turned on.

In this way, your Game APP can work normally with RX550 turned on.

Lenovo Employee AmyYu
Lenovo Employee
Views: 1,593
Message 6 of 95

gappy_p
Punch Card
Views: 1,577
Message 7 of 95

Same issues. This is shocking. Can I please return this product and receive a refund?

Video: https://youtu.be/0bPz40BZhAg

Figure_1.png

Admin note; post edited in accordance with the Community Guidelines.

Tomy_Silver
Punch Card
Views: 1,558
Message 8 of 95

@AmyYu wrote:

Open Windows settings->Gaming->Game bar->Graphics settings->Choose an app to set preference

If you APP is a Classic app which is downloaded from website, choose Classic app and then click browse button to add your app, and then set graphics specifications to High performance, then the RX550 can be turned on.

If you APP is a Universal app which is downloaded from website, choose Universal app and then click browse button to add your app, and then set graphics specifications to High performance, then the RX550 can be turned on.

In this way, your Game APP can work normally with RX550 turned on.

I already tried this with no luck, the issue is related to a bad thermal management mechanism done by BIOS which aim to load balance between the 2 graphics cards which leads to a inconsistent behavior.

E480 laptops have the option to rollback to an older BIOS version which didn't have that feature, however E590 laptops don't because they came after this feature was introduced...

gappy_p
Punch Card
Views: 1,517
Message 9 of 95

Having reviewed the "Lenovo Community Participation Rules" and having my previous post edited to remove mention of the Australian governmental agency responsible for consumer rights; I am hoping that this post will remain unedited.

I think that it is reasonable to say that this product:

• "has a problem that would have stopped someone from buying it if they’d known about it" (I would have purchased the variant not integrating the GPU)
  • "is substantially unfit for its common purpose and can’t easily be fixed within a reasonable time" (it has been 3 months since I purchased the E590 and there has been no BIOS release that unthrottles the GPU)
Lenovo Employee AmyYu
Lenovo Employee
Views: 1,488
Message 10 of 95

Could you please share me what is your issue more clearly? Such as the issue reproduce steps. Do you also have this bug when playing LOL?

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors