Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
H4k3
Paper Tape
Views: 1,192
Message 131 of 144

Re: Thinkpad E590 - Radeon RX 550 performance issue

Hi Hypixus,

did you had the chance to test the new driver/Bios, what are your Results ? Would be great if you can share it here

gappy_p
Punch Card
Views: 1,159
Message 132 of 144

Same issue in these videos:

For anyone else who doesn't know there's a massive thread on Lenovo forums with other customers experiencing the issue:

Worst and most misleadingly advertised computer I've every purchased. I strongly discourage anyone from buying this model and check the Lenovo forums before buying anything Lenovo.

Customer support has been useless, BIOS updates have incrementally made the stuttering marginally better with no complete solution (so what's the point?). Lenovo are too stupid to offer refunds to customers who aren't apathetic about this and it really pisses me off that they're that petty.

The models integrating the dedicated graphics are ridiculously designed and misleadingly advertised. Worst. Computer. Ever.
shahrukh89
Fanfold Paper
Views: 1,106
Message 133 of 144

Hello,

so did anyone have a chance of trying out the new BIOS update for the E590?

regards,

H4k3
Paper Tape
Views: 1,097
Message 134 of 144

Yes i did install it, it provides three level of performance after the update when the Notebook is on power.

I couldnt do any benchmarks but i played a while Tomb raider and can say that it is better then before but still have some problems to play continuisly.
Roger_that
Fanfold Paper
Views: 1,052
Message 135 of 144

I also installed the new bios and to be honest, I don't see any improvement at all. I even have the feeling it made everything worse. Now even videos start to lag when I'm watching something on Netflix, Prime or YouTube. It turned so bad, I had to disable the Radeon just to able to watch in peace, which made a huge improvement...

Haven't even bothered trying to play a game.

L3G0
Paper Tape
Views: 665
Message 136 of 144

Hello,

I own an E490, and was in the same boat as all of you guys, with the bad throttling issues. I was very frustrated that I paid for a machine that was not performing as advertised. However, I was wondering whether me tinkering around with thermal solution and whatnot had anything to do with the performance, and whether lenovo has fixed something. So I did a reinstall of windows 10 with lenovo's recovery media, and the throttling has (mostly) been fixed!

So before I reinstalled windows, thermal solution would close and set the thermal throttle temp to 65 degrees as the embedded controller on the cpu resets back to that if thermal solution hasn't overwritten in after a little while. This caused exessive throttling in my case. After reinstalling windows 10, this no longer happens, and while there is still a temp limit on the cpu at 80 degrees, this is MUCH better than the 65 degrees throttling from before. Now the e490 and e590 run the same bios, and the latest version is 1.22, which has apparently changed some thermal stuff ("Follow thermal modify DV file" is what is says in the changelog) which may have changed things also, but I didn't see a difference untill I reinstalled windows. before I did that, I tried updating everything to the latest version (Lenovo Intelligent Cooling Solution, Intel Dynamic Thermal Framework, System interface foundation, Lenovo Power Management drivers, ect) and none of that worked. Only reinstalling windows 10 seemed to give my machine normal performance. So I hope this helps!

L3G0
Paper Tape
Views: 429
Message 137 of 144

Update: After still experiencing issues after something happened, I finally found peace when I disabled the shock sensor which was disabling thermal solution when going to lap mode. Here are the instructions (credit goes to ThinkpadIL on the p53 forums):
https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/downloads/autoruns

You need to run specifically autoruns.exe (run it as administrator), then filter the results with the keyword "shockprf", then disable the driver by removing the V next to it.

However if you stop at this point, the OS won't boot after a restart. You also need to remove shockprf from the UpperFilters in registry.

This is how to do that:

1) Open regedit

2) Copy and paste the following into the "address" line:

HKLM\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Control\Class\{4d36e967-e325-11ce-bfc1-08002be10318}

3) Double-click "UpperFilters"

4) Remove "shockprf"

5) Cross your fingers and restart the machine

6) If you got the "INACCESSIBLE BOOT DEVICE" blue screen at boot then either you did it incorrectly or I made a mistake in this instruction. Use System Restore to make your computer boot again.

7) If the OS booted successfully then the shock sensor driver won't be bothering you anymore (unless some update decides to install the driver again)

Hopefully that helps anyone with these issues!
Reinhor
Fanfold Paper
Views: 370
Message 138 of 144

Thank you so much. This is probably the only solution we have.

I just have two questions :

- Everytime we want to update the bios, will we need to reinstal windows ?

- Just to be sure. This solution ( about the shock sensor) just removes the throttling between 65 and 80 degre ? after 80, the throttling comes back ?

Thanks

L3G0
Paper Tape
Views: 347
Message 139 of 144

1: We don't need to reinstall windows, just maybe check the changes to the shock sensor (the ones that you made to the registry and using the autoruns tool). All we are doing is turning off the shock sensor so it dosen't turn the laptop into lap mode while a demanding workload is in use. This was also tested in the latest Bios version (1.24). Also, you might not need to reinstall windows in the first place, try just turning the shock sensor off first, and see what happens!

2: The 80 degree throttling is still present, however I am fine with this if I get a few extra years out of my machine, and the throttling kicks in as soon as the cpu is hit with a demanding workload, so performance loss over time should me minimal. It isn't perfect, but this should be a fix for anyone experiencing the same issues as I did!

nasralli
What's DOS?
Views: 151
Message 140 of 144

I wanted to try this solution but shockprf doesnt show up neither in autoruns.exe  nor in the registry. what does that mean ?

And we're back...

Move delayed but still coming

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors