Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
KPsanz
Paper Tape
Views: 1,319
Message 61 of 144

Re: Thinkpad E590 - Radeon RX 550 performance issue

Lenovo just pushed a BIOS update for ThinkPad today, however, im not sure what the update consists of. Does anyone know? Can't seem to find any info online about it either.

gappy_p
Punch Card
Views: 1,275
Message 62 of 144

Hi all.

Can confirm that Tommy Silver is correct. The throttling is still very present.

Just tried to play Doom 2016 and it's doing it again.

To the person that was considering purchasing this computer with the intent in playing games. I'm not going to say "don't buy this computer". But that is because if I say that directly this post will probably violate the forum T&C and will be deleted. All I need to say is look at the length of this thread and the E580 thread too. No solutions to this problem of thermal throttling.

Very disappointed in Lenovo and I give up (they're not even responding to my emails).

Tomy_Silver
Punch Card
Views: 1,242
Message 63 of 144

BIOS update R0YET34W 1.17 was released, nothing in changelog is related to thermal management, and tested.

Issue still exists... 

TomasTregl
Blue Screen Again
Views: 1,127
Message 64 of 144

Just "replicating" my "discovery" on E580, cause its the same problem and I hope E590 users can use it too. https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/tag/E580%20RX550%20ext%20cool/tg-p/board-id/tp04_en

Hypixus
Fanfold Paper
Views: 1,088
Message 65 of 144

Purchased E590 i5/8/256+1TB/RX550X today, issue more than present here as well - with latest bios installed. Tried to play League Of Legends and on lowest settings with 60 fps cap, and due to overheating - panel above keyboard got uncomfortably hot. Framerate dropped to 5-8 every few seconds. This is not a performance I'd expect from 1k USD laptop - is there any update upcoming of any sort? I'm happy to help if this will lead to solving this inexcusable issue.

gappy_p
Punch Card
Views: 1,026
Message 66 of 144

I wish I could have saved you the hassle of all this. In my experience, in Australia, Lenovo aren't even accepting that this is an issue and that's very poor to me.

I've wasted so much time trying to come to an agreement with them on the matter and I'm over it and just going to have to go about it other ways (I'm afraid if I mention government consumer protection agencies this post will get deleted).

Mohsin_
Paper Tape
Views: 1,008
Message 67 of 144

Im having the same problem with my E490 as described in the thread. Tried playing Max Payne 3 with major frame drops ranging from 11 fps to 150 fps and this happens within a matter of seconds which is quite frustrating. Tried all kinds of fixes from tweaking the battery mode settings to changing the settings on the Radeon application but no luck. Hoping that Lenovo listens to us and fixes this issue ASAP. 

TomasTregl
Blue Screen Again
Views: 1,003
Message 68 of 144

Mohsin_, Hypixus: I am in doubts whether to welcome you or make a condolence, but I must supress your optimism about Lenovo solution "ASAP". Look on paralel /and same/ problem on 580 thread - the problem is one year known but stil unsolved, and I am afraid, that due to wrong calculated HW design - technically unsolvable. The only functional bypass I´ve found is external cooling; maybe lenovo should suply us all with some as minimal compensation?

Mohsin_
Paper Tape
Views: 983
Message 69 of 144

TomasTregl, Are you using an external cooler?. If so, how's the performance?

Hypixus
Fanfold Paper
Views: 962
Message 70 of 144

Good news everyone, I found a workaround - by having a custom application controling the fan speeds. I am capable of playing games properly, by just keeping the framerates locked to a certain point - constant 100% load obviously will have problems with keeping the GPU cold.

However, disclaimer - I am not responsible for any damage to your computer by using explained method,

You're doing everything at your own risk!!!

What I basically did was checking out software called "ThinkPad Fan Control" (link: TPFanControl - it is not authorised by Lenovo iirc) which is basically custom control to the fan speed of thinkpad laptops.

I found out that particularly version 062 fixes the issue if properly set.

Application, after installing and rebooting the system should start in the background with user login, if it doesn't just go to:

C:\Program Files\TPFanControl

and start the TPFanControl.exe file to make the application start. It should start in minimized mode to system icon, you should see new one displaying current mode. Double click it to run the main window:

Annotation 2019-09-13 144802.pngTPFanControl main window.

There, you have three options.

• BIOS: System default. Here you have system defaults, select it to make application stop tampering with your laptop default fan settings. In my case State changes to 128, which seems to be indicator that indeed it is working normally again.
  • Smart: Application's default. It enables the application to adjust fan speed accordingly to current temperatures. This setting has options for given temperatures in config file, as well as temperatures update frequency - everything is adjustable by user. Given temperature corresponds to given fan speed - going above certain level makes fan go with different speeds. I recommend having this one selected at all times since config file (if properly set) can get maximum performance as well as some degree of thermal security.
  • Manual: Constant fan speed. System always has the same fan speed, regardless of temperatures. I'd recommend avoiding it since heavier load(especially on i7 models) will lead to higher emission of heat, and might lead to permanent damage (melting motherboard might quite a bit impact the computer's health...)

My Lenovo E590 has 7 fan speed levels, 0 being little to none of a fan running, 7 being an airplane sounding 4700 RPM. Current fan state is shown in State box of main window, having 128 additionally as BIOS default speed control signal.

Smart mode settings are all in one file:

C:\Program Files\TPFanControl\TPFanControl.ini

It has several settings that are meant for different laptops, I personally didn't bother yet to edit any of those.

The only change I made in my current settings is under Smart mode 1, having fan speed 7 on all temperatures, like here:

// profile "Smart Mode 1"
// change values and number of items for your needs
// Celsius:         	// Fahrenheit: 

MenuLabelSM1=Smart Mode 1/  Label for Icon Menu, must be terminated by '/'

Level=60 7		// Level=140 0
Level=65 7		// Level=150 1
Level=75 7              // Level=165 3
Level=80 7		// Level=175 7
Level=90 7		// Level=195 64

This leads my laptop to ramp up fan to the max when starting to work. If I want it to be silent as usual, I just open up main window and select BIOS again to make it work silently and efficiently for all the other tasks.

Results are amazing, card works to its full potential, being throttled only when even the fan inside cant handle the load - and good example is keeping League of Legends on highest settings possible with no frame limiter. The normal work performance increased drastically too - processor is kept cooler as well, making it reach higher clocks without a hassle. This is all effect of this change - I didn't change thermal paste etc. myself yet - what should, in future, make it run even cooler than now.

Hope this helps you all too, at least until Lenovo decides to let users control their fans by default. Please let me know the results on different laptop versions - eX80, eX90, i5, i7 - all this data might help others too. I will check this thread from time to time and try to help, while enjoying Payday 2 with my new laptop ^^

We're moving

To a new platform very soon

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors