Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
mechazawa
Not applicable
Views: 1,442
Message 1 of 10

Thinkpad Edge 11 screen bezel

Hey guys,

I recently bought a Thinkpad Edge 11 and i noticed that the upper part of the screen bezel is seated a bit flimsy. If you slightly tap on the left and right side of the bezel (just left and right from where the webcam is installed) it makes a rattling sound and everytime I open the notebook up you can hear the bezel making a sound as the pressure of the closed lid is taken off of it.

It doesn't look like it's falling apart though, I was just wondering about the "flimsyness".

Is this something within the normal quality of the Thinkpad Edge or did I get a flawed unit? I really don't want to exchange this thing again, as this is already a replacement machine I got because of a non responsive space bar -.-

Best regards Smiley Happy

aksci
Not applicable
Views: 1,377
Message 2 of 10

Re: Thinkpad Edge 11 screen bezel

hey!!

Well, I guess this reply is a bit late - but my Edge 14 too happens makes the same rattling noise, and I'm now worried because its not just left and right side of the cam but every part of the bezel!

I guess that's the normal Edge quality.

Highlighted
mechazawa
Not applicable
Views: 1,365
Message 3 of 10

Thanks for your reply ^^

Well it is unfortunate to hear that you've got the same "problem". I really wouldn't expect such a flaw from Lenovo as even the cheapest acer netbooks have firm bezels -.-

In the meantime I came to check another Edge 11 and an Edge 15 model. The Edge 11 didn't rattle as much as my unit but the Edge 15 was really loud.

Oh I forgot, the rattle is also present on the left and right side (going left and right  from the middle of the screen), so also not only the left and right side of the cam Smiley Wink

Right now I'm not sure what to do. I still might return it but on the other hand it is a nice machine and it doesn't look like the bezel is falling off. It just gives the impression of not having a quality product (what this is actually supposed to be I guess)...

henk
Not applicable
Views: 1,343
Message 4 of 10

I have a Edge 13 which has some build quality issues too.

On my system the bottom of the bezel has some has some cracking noise when pushed. This is because the edge of screen has a little bend which results in the screen being a little twisted: http://i39.tinypic.com/9fpky8.jpg

The screen being twisted also results in the lid not closing completely on one side.

I must say this is my first and last lenovo notebook. Such disappointing build quality  and  it  also died on me two times in the first months of usage. The second time the notebook died it took over 6 weeks to repair. I also mentioned the screen being twisted when I did send it in for repair however Lenovo support didn't pay any attention to it.

mechazawa
Not applicable
Views: 1,329
Message 5 of 10

@henk: Wow, that sucks Smiley Sad I know it is hard, but don't condemn every other Lenovo product. The "real" Thinkpads (t, w and x-series) usually have a nice build quality. But I'm sorry to hear that you've had a bad experience. I understand why you'd shun Lenovo in the future.

How about your Edge 13s bezel? Besides the twisted screen, does it sit firmly or does it have the same "rattling" problem like mine or aksci's notebooks?

Best regards

henk
Not applicable
Views: 1,321
Message 6 of 10

I have a little rattle tapping the top and it also makes a cracking sound when I press the right top of the bezel lightly between thumb and index finger. I don't hear any sounds opening or closing the lid.

mechazawa
Not applicable
Views: 1,292
Message 7 of 10

Oh man, it really seems to be common on some Edge models. As I have mentioned 2 units in a store also showed this problem more or less. I have now returned my Edge 11 and will probably look elsewhere.

Actually I bought the Edge to have a little better build quality than similar machines from other brands. And while the base of the unit was made of a good quality, the screen bezel seemed to "compensate" for that and be rather flimsy :/

And not to mention the unresponsive space bar on my first Edge 11. On my replacement system the space bar was also unresponsive on the far left side by the way, but it was much less than on the first one. So I guess that was it ^^

I really hope that Lenovo increases the build quality/quality control on the Edge!!! Btw for a small business notebook (as it is advertised) the Edge is affordable but by no means low priced in comparison to the competition (at least in Germany). So I would expect a bit more quality for my money.

Best regards

europa
Not applicable
Views: 1,186
Message 8 of 10

just bought the edge 11 and, whilst the bezel isn't great, it doesn't rattle, so this is sth i can live with. otherwise, build seems great  Smiley Very Happy

carlo1402
Not applicable
Views: 757
Message 9 of 10

I have the same problem with the bezel of the Edge 11. Around the camera it seems a little bit loose and when you slightly push on it it makes a clicking sound (the camera?). 

This is the only weakness of the notebook so far and apart from that it's a nice machine, so I'll keep it. I ordered a screw kit (for the screw covers) and when I have it I'll try to open the bezel and have a look on the inside. Maybe there's an easy way to fix it. 

carlo1402
Not applicable
Views: 606
Message 10 of 10

Sadly the screw covers are NOT included in the screw kit and can't be ordered otherwise. I'm still looking for an answer to solve this problem. 

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors