Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
FireAngelZero
Paper Tape
Views: 2,947
Message 1 of 8

Thinkpad Edge 15 0319-46U wireless problems

Hello, I am looking for a little bit of help. I have a Lenovo Edge 15 0319-46U laptop I recieved from my educational institution. I have had the laptop since fall of 2012. I've never had a single issue with the laptop except a month ago I noticed my wireless 1x1 b/g/n card stopped working. I'm well knoledged in computers and have already tried updating the drivers but I ran into an issue. My wireless card is no longer being shown on the Device Manager list under Network Adapters or "Unknown Devices", I only see my Wired gigabit card. I went into Bios, checked the button (did all the begginer stuff) and no dice. Wireless still does not work. I went ahead and ordered a new Intel Wireless card for said laptop and made sure the interface worked correctly, so my question is does anyone know of any fixes that could work even if the adapter is not shown on anywhere in the computer? And would anyone know if the Intel 7260-HMWNBWB Dual band card would be compatible with this machine? Thanks in advance for an answer.

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 2,942
Message 2 of 8

Re: Thinkpad Edge 15 0319-46U wireless problems

Hello and welcome,

The ThinkPad BIOS has a wifi whitelist.  A card has to be a whitelisted model and have a Lenovo FRU number or the laptop will refuse to boot.  Generic cards - even with the correct model number - won't boot on an unmodified BIOS.

Page 113 of the Hardware Maintenance Manual  lists the compatible models and FRU numbers.

Z.

The large print: please read the Community Participation Rules before posting. Include as much information as possible: model, machine type, operating system, and a descriptive subject line. Do not include personal information: serial number, telephone number, email address, etc.

The fine print: I do not work for, nor do I speak for Lenovo. Unsolicited private messages will be ignored - questions and answers belong in the forum so that others may contribute and benefit. ... GeezBlog

Communities:   English    Deutsch    Español    Português    Русскоязычное    Česká    Slovenská    Українська   Polski    Türkçe    Moto English

FireAngelZero
Paper Tape
Views: 2,935
Message 3 of 8

Oh man, that's not good. Alright well, I guess I have to figure a workaround towards this. I had a feeling Lenovo had a compatibility issue with some wireless cards when I tried a Centrino card that was pulled from an older model and it didn't work. Well back to the drawing board. I guess my best bet at this point would be to get a cheap low profile USB wireless card. I have a feeling the card integrated is shot beause during the last week it worked it would disconnect me from wireless routers even if I was a foot next to the AP. Thanks Zoltan. I appreciate the feedback!

Community SuperMod
Community SuperMod
Views: 2,923
Message 4 of 8

@FireAngelZero...

A follow-up question and comment.

You mention: "I went ahead and ordered a new Intel Wireless card for said laptop and made sure the interface worked correctly..."

To clarify, did you install the card and still not see any device, known or otherwise, show up in Device Manager?

If so, that makes me think that, while the new card could be faulty, it's the slot that is electrically dead or malfunctioning. If the card is OK and the slot were OK, a non-whitelisted card would have invoked a boot error, as Z detailed. Specifically, you'd have seen an 1802 error.

Regards.

Community GuidelinesSearchPrivate MessagingENDEESPTRUUACZ-SKTRMoto
PM requests for individual support are not answered. If a post solves your issue, please mark it so.

I am not a Lenovo employee.

Highlighted
FireAngelZero
Paper Tape
Views: 2,920
Message 5 of 8

Hello Sarbin, to answer your question. No I have yet to recieve the new Intel card and from the previous post I minus well just return it once I get it. But to better clarify the 1X1 B/G/N adapter is not being seen by Windows. I go into Bios but the BIOS on this laptop is very basic it just shows me "on/off" next to wireless adapter, turning the adapter on or off in Bios will not make the card visible in Windows, and physically taking the card out and re-inserting the card with the battery off and the unit off and when I restart the unit nothing. It really sounds like the card burned out. But what I mean by "made sure the interface worked correctly" was that I made sure that I ordered the card to fit in the same slot that the 1x1 card is in now which is a Mini PCI-E slot. Thanks for the response Sarbin.

FireAngelZero
Paper Tape
Views: 2,895
Message 6 of 8

So, I have a question then, would it be possible to just order a whitelisted card from Lenovo? I think my laptop is out of warranty since it's past it's 1 year mark. But if I contact lenovo would they be able to just sell me the replacement card? Or is this wishful thinking and maybe I should just do USB?

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 2,887
Message 7 of 8

You can call support to order parts:

United States THINK-branded products English 1-800-426-7378 24 hours/day
7 days/week
Chat to check repair status
Online 8am-8pm ET
IDEA-branded and
B, C, E, G, H, K, N, Q, V, Y Series Products
English 1-877-4-Lenovo
(1-877-453-6686)
24 hours a day
7 days a week

Another option is to Google the FRU number you're looking for.  There are other sellers (eBay and others) that may offer a Lenovo-branded card at a lower cost.  Caveat emptor - of course.

Does your laptop have more than 1 antenna installed?  If so you may be able to use a different card than the original - and that may expand your options.

Z.

The large print: please read the Community Participation Rules before posting. Include as much information as possible: model, machine type, operating system, and a descriptive subject line. Do not include personal information: serial number, telephone number, email address, etc.

The fine print: I do not work for, nor do I speak for Lenovo. Unsolicited private messages will be ignored - questions and answers belong in the forum so that others may contribute and benefit. ... GeezBlog

Communities:   English    Deutsch    Español    Português    Русскоязычное    Česká    Slovenská    Українська   Polski    Türkçe    Moto English

FireAngelZero
Paper Tape
Views: 2,894
Message 8 of 8

I give up... I ended up calling Lenovo and not only did they transfer me to 3 diffirent departments until someone understood what I was looking for, they want 4x's more what I payed for my intel card, for their 1x1 bgn card that doesn't go above 72Mbps on a Wireless-N network. I'm going to just purchase a USB card and be done with it. I'm upset at Lenovo for this "whitelist" they decided to put in the Bios for just their wireless cards. It's odd that they don't do it with the RAM, Processor, or Harddrive (all three which I've replaced with third party hardware and never had a problem with) but the network card is where I'm drawing the line. Thanks Lenovo but no thanks.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors