Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
DOERS
Fanfold Paper
Views: 5,662
Message 11 of 40

Re: Thinkpad Edge 15 turns off after 30 minutes

My Thinkpad Edge 0319-42u turns off after 30 minutes everytime I turn it on.   I updated the BIOS to the latest version. as lenovo released the recent bios update that I hoped would resolve this but it doesn't.  I also removed cmos battery to reset bios. That didn't do anything either.  Seems like it is bios chip or a chip on the system bd that is doing this. The machine is NOT running hot and it turns off like a timed shutdown after the same amount of time.

Alot of people with this model seem to have this problem. Maybe they got a bad batch of chips and they were manufactured into some of the boards. Lenovo should come up with a fix that works as a bios update, I believe they could if they cared. Its the least they could do.

cdean
Blue Screen Again
Views: 5,636
Message 12 of 40

Hello,

I work for a school that purchased 26 Lenovo Edge 15s in March of 2012 and 11 in June of 2012. 

7 of the 37 laptops purchased have this exact same issue. I started with the IT August 2013 and these 6 have had this issue since I started here.

I have verified all the findings and troubleshooting on this thread (except putting the computer to sleep after 28:30 minutes because that is not a solution). 

The issue is as follows:

Upon bootup, the fan cranks up to 100% speed after about 5 seconds and maintains the 100% speed.

The processor heat can be felt on skin about 1/2" away from processor 2-3 minutes after boot.

The copper heat transfer pipe that runs between the processor and the fan maintains a cool temperature for about 20 minutes. Between 20-30 minutes, the transfer pipe starts to get warm, but never hot.

The copper coil around the fan never increases in tempurature.

The air exiting the laptop is always cool.

After about 25-30 minutes of being on, the laptop instantly shuts down as if it has overheated.

Things we know:

It is not issolated to OS

It is not issolated to drive

It is not the BIOS

It is not the processor

It is not the memory

It is not the fan (and the fan is not dirty)

It is not the thermal paste

It IS an overheating issue

It doesn't make since to be the motherboard, because a bad motherboard would simply not crank up fan up high enough to vent heat. (the fan is at 100% the whole time, heat is just not being transferred to the fan)

From the sounds of it, it sounds like the surface area of the heat sink transfer pipe is not large enough, causing heat to not transfer fast enough. I am not sure what would cause this to suddenly happen after a year of working fine. I never took thermo-dynamics, but I do not that heat and cool can cause metals to expand/contract. All I can think is that something is wrong with the heat sink which is preventing enough heat transfer, and that usage of the heat sink over time is what causes the issue. (maybe the company tried to find a cheaper way to make them, and failed)

cdean
Blue Screen Again
Views: 5,609
Message 13 of 40

Ok, so after checking all 37  laptops for this issue, I found that issue was issolated to 0319-42U machines specifically. Also, 9 of the 26 of this type we have are affected. have a fail rate of over 1/3 is rather depressing and should most definiately be confronted by Lenovo or IBM. I am going to post this on the IBM forums as well.

metropolis2k
Paper Tape
Views: 5,600
Message 14 of 40

Hi

I own a Thinkpad Edge 15 (model 0319-3SU) that keeps forcibly shutting down every 30 minutes. I have seen many posts (on this forum and other tech forums) about this same issue and I really feel this is a hardware issue. Faulty motherboard or temperature sensor not working correctly causing the unit to think it overheats and needs to shut down.

I spoke with Lenovo Support on this very same issue this morning and of course the unit is out of warranty and the only thing the technician could offer was to set up an Out-of-Warranty repair which could potentially set me back $650.00.

My feeling though is that with all the different people having the same kind of an issue, Lenovo should take action and seriously look into this problem to see if a recall is in order. I would love to gather some people with similar issues, to respond to this thread to see if we can get the folks at Lenovo to seriously consider this issue and to help out.

Similarly, if anybody has any tips on what I can try myself to resolve the issue, I'm open for any suggestions.

Thanks!

Rudy

Moderator Note; subject edited; post merged in

horsepro
Fanfold Paper
Views: 5,578
Message 15 of 40

Last week I was handed a ThinkPad Edge 15 (model 0319-3SU) for repair that is having the exact same issue discussed here and I have made all to the same repair attempts that have been suggested here except replacing the CPU or writing a sleep program for the problem. The latter would not really be a repair just a workaround IMHO. Just like all the others who have tried, nothing has proved to work in resolving this issue. I also have written to Lenovo about this but do not realistically expect a reply much less a resolution to this problem.

Based on what I have read here and on other boards, Lenovo is clearly aware of the issue and because most if not all of these system are out of warrantee they apparently feel that they have no obligation to address the issue at all. This and other issues I have had with IBM/Lenovo in the past leads me to think that, not only would I not ever purchase one of their machines personally but I must also recommend that my customers avoid them as well.

It’s unfortunate because this system works perfectly fine otherwise.

JF 

DOERS
Fanfold Paper
Views: 5,461
Message 16 of 40

i dont think it would be a overheating issue if it shuts down at exactly 30 minutes each time, unless you open an close the lid, thus putting it to sleep, then you get another 30 minutes before shutdown unless you put it to sleep again to gain another 30 minutes. I wish it were as simple as replacing a heat sink I would have done that right as soon as the issue started

horsepro
Fanfold Paper
Views: 5,458
Message 17 of 40

I am going  to try a new motherboard I found one for $65.00 new, so all things considered I think it's worth a try. I will let you know if that solves the problem.

DOERS
Fanfold Paper
Views: 5,442
Message 18 of 40

replacing the sys bd may do it, as long as you get a good one.  The 30 min shutdown issue seems to be common across the 0319-42u.  I have a i5-540m cpu. Ive installed speed fan and core temp to monitor cpu temp. The i5-540m is supposed to have max temp of 105c, with probable shutdown at 100c. The temp monitors I have show  the range - 32c to 70c, but mostly stays in 30c-40c range. To be certain it is not the cpu, I will replace it with a i5-520m cpu to see if that makes any difference. I did make a batch file that puts it sleep mode each 28 minutes and that does prevent it from shutting down but I would much rather not to have to keep doing that.  I will post the results of changing to a different i5 in a few days

DOERS
Fanfold Paper
Views: 5,433
Message 19 of 40

I'm back to the batch file to put it to sleep after minutes. Installed a new i5-450m and tested it.  It runs a few degrees cooler than thwe i5-540m cpu.  However it is still shutting down after 30 minutes. Worth a shot, makes me more certain the a chip on the system board is causing the shutdown.  Let me know how the replacement system

board works out. I bet it will resolve the issue.

DOERS
Fanfold Paper
Views: 5,406
Message 20 of 40

Can anyone confirm the part # for motherboard on the Thinkpad Edge 15 0319-42u.  I went to the parts schematic
page already but wanted to confirm so I dont search for the wrong one and do not have to take the sys board out to get the # off it   thank you

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors