Message 21 of 40

Re: Thinkpad Edge 15 turns off after 30 minutes

15 0319-3SU this is the one I am ordering

cdean
Blue Screen Again
Views: 3,844
Message 22 of 40

Anyone have any luck figuring out if it was the motherboard, and, if so, where to get a good one that isn't going to have the same issue?

DOERS
Fanfold Paper
Views: 3,836
Message 23 of 40

I was looking to confirm the part number of the system board. Its probably 63Y2144 (has wireless). Sometimes there are more than 1 compatible part number, main reason why I was checking, to find all the compatible pns.  It is possible the 0319 models will all take the same systemboard., same part numbers. Did they have any more left where you are getting yours from?

horsepro
Fanfold Paper
Views: 3,832
Message 24 of 40

I did expose the mother board to find the model number and the one I posted was it. It is quite possible that more than one board will work in this machine.

I would imagine that they do in fact have more than one in stock. I am going to take a chance here and post the link

http://www.bestlaptoprepair.com/productshow.asp?smallclassid=5&id=52103

If it gets deleted then try emailing me directly and I will send you the link xxxxxxxxxxxxxx@the google mail

Moderator note; e-mail address removed to stop the spambots getting it

DOERS
Fanfold Paper
Views: 3,816
Message 25 of 40

$65 sounds quite cheap for a systemboard. You may want to call them first to verify what price for a new system board is.  For $65 would they would probably just diagonse it as a bad system board, that which you already are aware of.   0319-3SU would be the model # of the laptop, an assembly #.  To specify the system board a number such as (fru) 63Y2132 may be used

http://support.lenovo.com/en_US/product-and-parts/detail.page?DocID=PD002375#8

cdean
Blue Screen Again
Views: 3,741
Message 26 of 40

1) Has anyone successfully fixed this problem with a motherboard switch?

2) Has anyone found the FRU# for the 0319-42U (Core i5)

cdean
Blue Screen Again
Views: 3,731
Message 27 of 40

Ok so I just talked with a rep from IBM and he said that this board (P/N 04W4459) has a known issue with the onboard video chip which causes it to overheat and shutdown. Unfortunately, other than the fact that there are no motherboards on the market for this machine due to this issue, that is all the information they could provide.

lightexavier
What's DOS?
Views: 3,432
Message 28 of 40

Did anyne every have any luck fixing this? Checked everything and update the BIOS on mine and no good. Seems like the only possible way to fix it is a new motherboard which I see going for a hunred or so. I'll be honest that if that's the only fix probably will just get another laptop and avoid Lenovo. Kind of disappointed that this seems to be a known defect with this model laptop and they aren't doing anything about it.

DOERS
Fanfold Paper
Views: 3,421
Message 29 of 40

As far as I know there are no permanent solutions to resolving it other than to purchase a new motherboard.

Appears to be a batch of motheboards with a imperfect chip, possibly bios, were sent out.  I tried increasing the cpu fan speed, monitored the temperature, (whiched stayed well below the upper limit for the cpu). I also used it in a very cool room with a extra cooling fan under it.  But there again I didn't notice any variation; that is It still shutdown after exactly 30 minutes unless I put it to sleep before the 30minutes elapsed. To me that is a little strange , if it were a thermal shutdown due to the video chip getting hot I would have thought I would have noticed some variation in the amount of time it stayed up and running with running the unit in a much cooler environment.   I remember the issue with the hps DV series, their video chip would overheat and cause a shutdown.  But that was not resolved by putting the unit to sleep nor did the shutdown occur in a exact amount of time.  The only thing I can think of to test this that I didnt do yet is add a copper shim with thin layer of thermal paste to heat sink the video chip as experiment to see if this would have any effect on the 30 minute shut down.  

As far as I know this issue was never owned up to by lenovo. Lenovo should have made some attempt to correct it, such as  through a firmare update or done a recall on the boards if this was not possible. Unfortunately for those affected I don't think that happened. I became a fan when the t-series was released and they gained my loyalty because the thinkpad notebooks were very reliable.  I owned several lenovos as well as other brands of notebooks. In past couple years I have seen a few lenovo models with the same hardware issue, ie. bad video chip or premature shutdown common to a particular model.  In this issue with it shutting down after exactly 30minutes unless it was put to sleep and woke up, before the 30 minutes had elapsed, and hundreds of people experiencing exactly the samething... I don't think there is any way of denying the fact that its is a hardware flaw that is common to the model. I myself have never seen this issue in all of the hundreds or thousands of notebooks I've troubleshot over the years. If it was a issue that cause a system reboot or something, that may be something the manufacturer could argue that was caused by something else.  To me the uniqueness of this issue is what makes it  suprising to me that Lenovo did not attempt to correct it in one way or another.  I guess they are resting, hoping their reputation with customers who have purchased their reliable models will remain loyal based on that.

With mine I followed instructions as found earlier in the post and created the script to put to sleep then added it as a scheduled event in the os. It is the best work around I've found.  I get interrupted while working but that is better than a shutdown that causes me to lose my work.

lightexavier
What's DOS?
Views: 3,415
Message 30 of 40

That explains a lot I appreciate the info. Yeah that really does suck I'll probably  avoid Lenovo's because I can't believe there is a defect like that. Looks like a motherboard will cost about one hundred dollars too. Well I certainly appreciate the information it does explain a lot.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors