Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
the4montains
Paper Tape
Views: 3,162
Message 31 of 40

Re: Thinkpad Edge 15 turns off after 30 minutes BRAND NEW

.......turns off and comes back seconds later telling me that the system was not shut down right.....please start in safe mode.....as I said.....this bad boy is 5 hours old.....

@thinkpadtech wrote:

I have a Thinkpad Edge 15 that will turn itself after 30 minutes no matter what I do.   I have been leaving it in BIOS and it will turn off after 30 minutes.   No battery, no hard drive, different power brick, etc.  It does not matter.  Any suggestion?

kwhitt_57
Paper Tape
Views: 2,995
Message 32 of 40

Re: Thinkpad Edge 15 turns off after 30 minutes

I found the fru for the 0319-42u

The number is 04W4459

kwhitt_57
Paper Tape
Views: 2,991
Message 33 of 40

FRU Number is 04W4459

ozmoso
What's DOS?
Views: 2,685
Message 34 of 40

Yea having same issue - no solutions. Lenovo will be hard pressed to get my business in the future.

denmorru
Paper Tape
Views: 2,145
Message 35 of 40

This is definitely not related to this Edge laptop board model.

I have ThinkPad x220 tablet worked 7 month non-stop,

until one day Fan failed and it stopped from overheating.

I replaced cooler fan KSB0405HA (DELTA), and laptop started this 30-minute self-stop life, despite normal operating temperature.

Tried many BIOSes - no luck...

As for Edge, they wrote this https://support.lenovo.com/ru/ru/documents/ht081506

So, one could  think that some "Fail state" can be saved to board in some case...

Most russian forums say that we need to flash BIOS from properly working laptop with correct ME region or change south bridge...

pjfox
What's DOS?
Views: 1,311
Message 36 of 40

Hi

Anyone solved this?

Got e530 but different than mentioned here - but 3259-AAG and same 30min problem.

Also - on battery - laptop sometimes is not starting - need to try like several times (no more than 3)

regards

pj

pjfox
What's DOS?
Views: 1,287
Message 37 of 40

Hi again

I fixed my e530. It turned out that the radiator was profiled that copper part was touching GPU and CPU but it was like 0,5 - 1mm space between radiator (steel part not copper) and chip (north/south bridge - SLJ8C) and place was originally filled with some kind of rubber thermo thing.

I removed it and put folded aluminium foil (nothing better found at the moment)  + silver thermal paste and it works fine. CPU reaches max 72'C. Min is 32'C - usually around 53-55'C.

check your devices- could be the same.

regards

pj

The1Boogieman
Paper Tape
Views: 881
Message 38 of 40

I have the same EXACT problem.Why hasn't Lenovo fixed this I bought a second laptop with the same problem and if this is the kind of support that Lenovo has for a problem that they are responsible for than I will begin looking for a different brand to recommend to my customers.I was led to believe it was a bios upgrade needed.I was very happy with this laptop till this issue started.Is Lenovo going to guarantee​ that a new motherboard won't do the same even after warranty has expired. I'm really shocked that no recall was made. Well I guess I'm looking for a different brand laptop one who will service the brand they sell.....wonder if IBM has any part of this problem.

floOo
What's DOS?
Views: 1,170
Message 39 of 40

Hi all,
I have the exact same problem with a Lenovo Thinkpad Edge 15, model 0319-3SF, purchased brand new in 2012 and worked fine for 5 years.
Now the laptop shuts down brutally after 30 minutes and the fan always runs at 100%, no matter the OS (Win7, Ubuntu, Live CD, even the BIOS).
I've cleaned the fan and vents everywhere, replaced RAM, battery, and thermal paste, but now I understand this is a motherboard/chipset problem common to several models of the 0319 type. (I've read that changing the CPU, HDD, or BIOS didn't help).
My CPU temperatures are average, never really cool but not overheating either (50-60 Celsius). Laptop case and expelled air feel cold/lukewarm, but neither warm nor hot.

Could any of you please report about replacing the motherboard? Success or failure?
Any other solution (besides going to Sleep every 28 minutes)?

This laptop is used by my wife, but I'm personally using a Lenovo Thinkpad SL510 since 2009 and it's still working GREAT (I just upgraded the RAM one year ago), so I don't want to start hating Thinkpads now because of this...

MPDTech
What's DOS?
Views: 448
Message 40 of 40

I have 10 of these computers that are doing the exact same thing.  Very frustrating.  Is Lenovo doing anything about this?

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors