Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
TEMPEST
Not applicable
Views: 5,695
Message 151 of 239

Re: Touchpad

I just installed "Synaptics TrackPad Driver_v15_2_7_C_XP64_Vista64_Win7-64" found at http://www.synaptics.com/support/drivers.

In the mouse settings, there will be a Symantics tab for the trackpad setup.  The default configuration is set up for 2 finger scrolling (which still doesn't seem to work very well) AND 1 finger scrollign along the right edge of the trackpad.

The 1 finger scrolling works MUCH better than the 2 finger scrolling does.  So I just use the 1 finger scrolling now and life is much easier!

so what's wrong with 2 finger scrolling?  I have some observations.  I am comparing it to my 6 year old Apple G4 ibook, which handles 2 finger scrolling perfectly 100% of the time.

The apple will scroll a web page with 2 fingers as long as the web page is the primary window no matter where the cursor pointer is.  I think that's how most people expect it to work.  So if your pointer ends up off to the side and not on the web page, it still scrolls.  If your cursor is in a drop down text box it still scrolls.  If your cursor is on the browser header area (File, Edit, View, etc) it still scrolls.  Also, Apple allows for the 2 fingers to be more out of line.  ie, the 2 fingers do not have to be in a perfect horizontal line on the trackpad.  Look at your hand, fingers 1 and 2 are different legnths, they aren't going to line up horizontally unless you make an effort to do so.

The Lenovo and Synaptics driver will not allow 2 finger scrolling if the cursor pointer is not in the web page body.  So if you are off the web page, or on the header, or in a dropdown box it doesn't scroll.  Also, if your fingers aren't nearly perferctly in line horizontally it wont scroll.  Your longer middle finger does not naturally fall into a horizontal line with your shorter index finger and the trackpad doesn't recognize your 2 finger scroll request.

It seems like Lenovo and Synaptics should pick up a 6 year old Apple notebook at a garage sale for 10 bucks and reverse engineer the trackpad.  Most other manufacturers have figured it out!

melroseguy
Not applicable
Views: 5,653
Message 152 of 239

Thanks James!!!  This problem has been driving me nuts for some time now.  My touchpad would freeze for a little less than a second after I click anything.  Seems like nothing but it's REALLY irritating and to me it makes the touchpad unusable.

I have a W510 with 64-bit Win7 Pro with a Core i7 and 8GB RAM.  It turns out that the only thing that was turned on for me (under Smart Check Settings) was "Scrolling Region Filtering".  When I turned that off and hit apply, the problem went away immediately.

Thank you for your posting... It boggles my mind why that article doesn't come up when I search the KB for "touchpad freeze".  Come-on Lenovo!

@JameZ wrote:
@frank71987,

Try this and see if it helps.

http://forums.lenovo.com/t5/T400-T500-and-newer-T-series/TouchPad-hanging-not-responsive/ta-p/340095

//JameZ

bendicion
Not applicable
Views: 5,409
Message 153 of 239

We experienced similar problems on our ThinkPad edge 14" (2010 pre-SandyBridge Core i3 model) after the Ultranav driver was updated via Windows Update a couple of days ago to 15.2.20.0.  The issue was resolved by removing the Lenovo driver and replacing it with the Synaptics generic driver (as discussed earlier in the thread).

Is there a link to download the previous version of the Ultranav driver, to see if this is a driver issue?

timmessi
Not applicable
Views: 5,380
Message 154 of 239

Hi,

I just bought the Edge 13' with AMD processor and installed Win 7 (64bit). I installed all the drivers with the Think Vantage System Update. Also for the ThinkPad UltraNav Pointing Device. (15.2.14.0 from 17.02.2011, and I tried another version from 31.03.2011)

My problem is that my touchpad, my trackpoint and all the keys up and below the touchpad were and are not working at all. (before and after any driver installation). If I connect an external mouse with USB it works without problems.

I also recognized that there is no UltraNav Tab in my system control (although the drivers are installed). There are only 3 tabs (general, drivers and details)

I already tried to install the Synaptics drivers, but it didn't help either.

Do you have any other suggestions? Or do I need to return it to my Lenovo dealer?

Thanks for your support.

JameZ
Not applicable
Views: 5,362
Message 155 of 239

@bendicion,

EDGE 14 drivers page below
http://www-307.ibm.com/pc/support/site.wss/MIGR-74581.html

@timmessi,

Uninstall the driver from Programs and Features, reboot and try installing it again. Also the driver for EDGE 13 is at 15.2.19.0 if the MT is not 0217, 0221, 0250.

//JameZ
kingzero
Not applicable
Views: 5,303
Message 156 of 239

Hello,

i would like to know what touchpad the Thinkpad E520 has, Alps or Synaptics. I am asking because i just bought a Dell Vostro with an Alps touchpad and i am thinking of returning it because the touchpad is just horrible. The touchpad in my macbook (it should be an Synaptics one) is way better compared to Alps.

So before i buy the E520 i would really like to know what TP it has.

JameZ
Not applicable
Views: 5,262
Message 157 of 239

@kingzero,

Based on the TouchPad driver for the E520, it is using the UltraNav driver therefore the it should be a Synaptics TouchPad. Check the driver readme file.

http://download.lenovo.com/ibmdl/pub/pc/pccbbs/mobiles/6hgx38ww.txt

//JameZ
Highlighted
marre
Not applicable
Views: 5,247
Message 158 of 239

I just got my Thinkpad Edge 15 yesterday but now the touchpad & trackpoint don't work anymore. I had no problems in the beginning but around the time I was updating windows I noticed that the touchpad "froze" a few times, and a little while later it stopped working altogether.

I have updated the drivers, uninstalled them and installed them again with no luck. I have also noticed that I can't find the devices in my device manager. If you exclude my usb mouse, there are no mouse devices in the list.

I also tested booting ubuntu from a usb stick but the touchpad didn't work there either.

JameZ
Not applicable
Views: 5,186
Message 159 of 239

@marre,

Check following

BIOS -> Config -> Keyboard/Mouse -> enabled?

//JameZ
marre
Not applicable
Views: 5,179
Message 160 of 239

There is no option to enable/disable the touchpad in bios. I have also updated the bios.

Link to picture

Moderator note; picture(s) totalling >50K converted to link(s) Forum Rules

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors