Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
TEMPEST
Serial Port
Views: 1,582
Message 161 of 239

Re: Touchpad

If this is a brand new machine, you should call the warranty support center regarding your non-working track pad.

http://www-307.ibm.com/pc/support/site.wss/document.do?lndocid=migr-4hwse3

They will likely be the fastest way to resolve the issue

not4us
Punch Card
Views: 1,409
Message 162 of 239

I got one of the new Edge's 420 (i3 SandyBridge) last week and I'm too having problems with the touchpad (and trackpoint).
The touchpad works intermittently and freezes most of the time. I've tried updating the driver, changing to the Synaptics driver, changing the settings as mentioned by JameZ but it's still unresponsive.
On top of that the 2-finger scrolling almost never works and some times when I try to use it it gives me the "zoom tool"...

The trackpoint works a lot better but it has given me problems too. Twice it has seemingly disable my keyboard (every time I pressed a Key it launched a shortcut but wouldn't type) and a few times when using the middle button to scroll it has started zooming in an out like crazy.

I'm afraid I'm going to have to send the unit back for repair after having waited impatiently for it for almost 2 weeks. If I did that (send it back for repair) what are people experiences time-wise? Did it take long for Lenovo to fix it and return it?

not4us
Punch Card
Views: 1,387
Message 163 of 239

I THINK I FOUND IT!

Googling around trying to find a cause (and hopefully a solution) for all these issues that people have been having with the TrackPad on their Edge's I found this http://forums.lenovo.com/t5/ThinkPad-Edge/Touchpad-issue-not-resolved-what-are-my-options/m-p/302060...

I went into the BIOS, Power and then disabled "PCI Express Power management" and lo and behold my TrackPad now works all the time!

I think it's obviously something wrong on the PCIe Power saving so maybe a new BIOS will fix this and we can enable the feature?

In the meantime, disabling it seems to do the trick.

It would be great if someone else having this problem could try this fix and report whether it works or if it's only me.

seestone
Punch Card
Views: 1,351
Message 164 of 239

What is the PCI Express Power Managment (good to know before I turn it off)

I am getting very frustrated with this touchpad not working, cursor moving everywhere, not being able to click... this computer is fast becoming useless as I don't want some random thing to happen such as an email to a client getting screwed up and sent because the touchpad went crazy

seestone
Punch Card
Views: 1,312
Message 165 of 239

Re: Touchpad Problem Could Be Software / Driver Related

Yesterday I booted in safe mode - and the touchpad problem was resolved (at least in the two hours that I worked on the computer.)

So my understanding is that the problem is software related - which I take is why turning off various features also resolves the problem as pointed out two posts previous to this.

Considering the problem occured for me from the initial startup of the computer - before I had installed any new applications or drivers - the problem is with software / drivers being shipped from the factory.

Is there a proper fix coming that corrects the situation without having to run in safe mode or turning off features?

Guru
Views: 1,300
Message 166 of 239

Does updating to the 15.3.6.0 Synaptics UltraNav driver help?

W520: 2960XM, Q2000M @ 1091/1380, 32GB RAM, 500GB&750GB HDD & 500GB SSD, FHD&MB168B+
X61T: L7500, 4GB RAM, 500GB HDD, XGA screen, Ultrabase
W550s: 5600U, K620M at 1164/1281, 16GB RAM, 512GB SSD, 3K touchscreen
X200s: SL9400, 6GB RAM, 64GB SD card, WXGA+ screen
TPT1: 1839-23U
seestone
Punch Card
Views: 1,240
Message 167 of 239

Thanks for the advice about trying the 15.3.6 driver - have not done that due to issues mentioned in the Edge X Forum -

http://forums.lenovo.com/t5/X-Series-ThinkPad-Laptops/X220-touchpad-Can-t-right-click-drag-with-more...

seestone
Punch Card
Views: 1,212
Message 168 of 239

Well I take that back about the trackpad working fine in safe mode - it does NOT work fine in safe mode. Similar problems - no response from the trackpad and trackpad deciding to do random things (move the cursor, select items...)

On the Edge X forum there is a discussion about the new driver causing new problems - so that is not a good fix.

When I called tech support today to discuss this problem (the new driver has problems, running in safe mode has problems...) I was told that Lenovo tech support is hardware only, so I need to find Lenovo software tech support - and unfortunately hardware tech did not have that phone number or email and I cannot seem to find anything on the site about Lenovo software support.

So does anyone know if there is a proper fix (which would mean that the trackpad functions as it should without having to turn off power management, bus management, etc...)

not4us
Punch Card
Views: 1,210
Message 169 of 239

I thought I had fixed it by disabling the PCI Express Power Management option in the BIOS but the problem persisted (although it wasn't as bad as before)so I ended up calling support and the E420 is now with Lenovo's tech support being fixed.
I'll keep you updated on the progress.
Chryslerdude
What's DOS?
Views: 1,154
Message 170 of 239

Reporting from Denmark, (a bit late, as i had my two 13" EDGE laying around over half a year, before getting around to opening the boxes) Model: AMD 1.3Ghz / 4GB / 320 GB / 64bit W7 (Model 0196-5MG)..

Nevertheless, I've got valuable information, as I bought two identical machines, and ONE had the touch poad issue, one did NOT!

NO tweaking / adjusting / updating has been done to the one working perfectly.. so "Software".. I don't think so !

I am calling service for the sick one ! Enough time spent already, reading these 17 pages of frustration !

Good luck guys ;-)

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors