Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

ThinkPad NotebooksThinkPad: 11e (Windows), 13, E and Edge series Laptops
All Forum Topics
Options

2 Posts

08-14-2014

Germany

2 Signins

20 Page Views

• Views: 20
  • Message 1 of 1

Thinkpad Edge E130 sierra wireless mc8355 gobi 3000 no connection

2014-08-15, 13:22 PM

Hello everyone,

I'm facing a problem with the Thinkpad E130 and the integrated Sierra Wireless MC8355 Gobi 3000 broadband modem. I can't use them with my SIM cards. No connection is established. I'm sure that a modem is integrated since it was specifcally ordered with it and it shows up in the device manager.

What I ruled out:

- Hardware defect: There is a second Thinkpad E130 with the same setup, where it doesn't work either.

- Service provider problem: Tried two SIM cards from two different service providers.

- SIM card problem: SIM cards work in mobile 3G router.

What I did:

- Shut down the notebook

- Put a sim card in the slot in the back of the laptop, behind the battery.

- Reboot the notebook and start the Thinkvantage Access Connections software.

- The sim card usually does get detected and a suitable profile is shown automatically.

- Nonethless I created a profile myself. More exactly two profiles for the two service providers. The data for the APN, etc. is gathered either from the internet or from a second software I use.

- I try to connect with the profile which is automatically shown and the self-created profiles.

- It tries for several minutes but then quits with an error message: 'Unable to connect to network at this time due to out of coverage or Your SIM-card may not be activated. Please see Lenovo Mobile Broadband Actviation or contact your mobile operator. Do you want to sign up now?'

- I tried to connect with a second software called MWconn, which fails too. So I would rule out application problems, too.

- I've tried to use MWconn with deactivated and with uninstalled Access Connections. To avoid interferences with the COM port.

Now, my question is what I overlooked. Is there something, that I have to do first?

I've read something of an activation but I thougth this was specifcally for the Lenovo Mobile Access programm. Which is nice but not interesting for me. But do I have to activate the modem first, nonetheless?

I don't know if it's important but the laptops have been bought and are tested in Germany. And another thing is that MWconn asks for my PIN and Access Connection doesn't. But I also tried it with deactivated PIN, which doesn't change the problem.

Rest of the setup

- Windows 7 Enterprise 64-bit.

- ThinkVantage Access Connections v6.22

- MWconn v5.9

If there is any other info missing, please feel free to ask.

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms