Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ozzy_dave
What's DOS?
Views: 638
Message 1 of 4

Thinkpad Edge E420 Battery dead after firmware update 1.13

Hi All,

I foolishly ran the Lenovo software update tool and one of the updates that installed was battery firmware v1.13.

The update failed part way through and ever since my battery is having an existential crisis - I know it's plugged in and 100% charged but it reads 0% (or sometimes a red X) and the machine shuts down when AC power is removed.

Being out of warranty the phone line people just keep trying to sell me a new battery and have no ideas on how to fix the existing one. I've tried the firmware update multiple times but with no joy. Also tried sourcing previous versions of the firmware which doesn't work. My battery was not one of those listed for recall. Latest and best suggestion was that it may be a motherboard issue and I could confirm by plugging in a different battery to see if it works - with absolutely no suggestion who would let me borrow their battery and plug it into my possibly killer machine.

Has anyone else had a similar problem and found a fix?

Is anyone based in Perth, Western Australia and want to let me experiment with their battery? {you crazy fool!}

Does anyone know how to contact an actual Lenovo person rather than the useless call centre (1800 041 267 from Australia, seemingly connecting to Malaysia or Thailand judging by the accents)?

Consumer law in Australia would suggest these guys owe me a new battery regardless of warranty status but I don't know how I can force the issue if I can't even speak to them???

Appreciate any help or suggestions you can offer.....

Thanks,

Dave

TeddySpaghetti
Paper Tape
Views: 574
Message 2 of 4

Re: Thinkpad Edge E420 Battery dead after firmware update 1.13

This happened to me today. 

The solution is to restart the computer and enter the BIOS.  Then use the arrow keys to move to the config tab, then down to the power option, hit enter, scroll down to the disable built-in battery, hit enter, then follow dirctions on the right.  You will unplug the power cord to shut down the computer and when you plug it back in and turn it back on the battery will be recognized.  if not , try the process again as it took me two tries.  hope this helps.

ozzy_dave
What's DOS?
Views: 560
Message 3 of 4

Hi Teddy. Thanks for your reply. I went into the bios power settings but I couldn't find the menu item you mentioned. Perhaps we have different bios versions? Or maybe I'm missing something? Some screenshots below:

Link to image 1

Link to image 2

Link to  image 3

Any help much appreciated. Cheers, Dave.

Moderator note: large image(s) converted to link(s):  About Posting Pictures In The Forums

TeddySpaghetti
Paper Tape
Views: 535
Message 4 of 4

i just realized the laptop I had was the E420s which has an internal battery and yours has a removable battery.  So this procedure with the bios won't work for you.  sorry about that.  maybe the lenovo battery power manager could help?

good luck!

Ted

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors