Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
benoconnell22
Paper Tape
Views: 436
Message 1 of 2

Thinkpad Edge E420 extremely dark screen, no brightness

My thinkpad's screen wasn't properly (dark) I purchased another screen and installed it and there was still nothing. If I shined a light on the screen I could see a very very VERY faint image of the startup screen/login screen and it appeared the screen was cut into four quadrants each showing the same image (4 illustrations of the same image in each of the screens quadrants). When I hook up the screen via HDMI to my TV the computer works just fine, I just can't use the laptop screen. Any ideas? I received a PCI/PCI e test failure when using the solutions center. The OS is Windows 8.1, the processor is an intel i5.

Community Moderator
Community Moderator
Views: 411
Message 2 of 2

Re: Thinkpad Edge E420 extremely dark screen, no brightness

The problem with your screen is the backlight. But because you have changed the screen the cause is either the wiring or the backlight power supply. The power supply appears to be part of the motherboard, so that leaves you the video harness or the motherboard. If it is the video harness, it is repairable, but it is much much easier to just replace it. As for the motherboard, you need to look at the video connector, both on the harness and on the motherboard, and make sure none of the contacts are bent over or burnt.

Hoov
Former Microsoft MVP - Consumer Security
SpywareHammer.com

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors