Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
arian199
Fanfold Paper
Views: 788
Message 1 of 5

Thinkpad Edge E520 Cooling Issues

Hi, I'm new to the forum. I signed up for the reason being that I've been having some heat/cooling issues on my Lenovo Thinkpad E520. I don't know why this is happening, as I bought the device a few months back. It's still under standard warranty. Here are some screenshots of the computer running Prime95, then the computer running nothing (Idle). The heat issues affect the performance of the graphics card. This get very annoying, when I'm playing Battlefield 3 it runs at a smooth FPS for 5 minutes then drops the FPS down to about 1/3 for about 10-20 seconds. I know the laptops aren't meant for gaming but this wasn't a problem when I bought the laptop. But, now I had enough, I would appreciate any help. Thanks!

Link to image 1

Thats it running prime 95. You can see the temperature varies from 90-99 degrees.

Link to image 2

Thats the computer running nothing but Windows, Speccy and CPU-Z. The temperature varies between 60-65. At idle it's ok but it still shouldn't run like this.

Moderator note: images (much!) larger than 50k converted to links per forum rules:  Lenovo Community Participation Rules

lead_org Microsoft MVP Contributor
Microsoft MVP Contributor
Views: 787
Message 2 of 5

Re: Thinkpad Edge E520 Cooling Issues

what GPU does your E520 have?

If it is not occurring before when you got the laptop, then it could suggest there is something wrong with your heatsink/fan.
Regards,

Jin Li

May this year, be the year of 'DO'!

I am a volunteer, and not a paid staff of Lenovo or Microsoft
arian199
Fanfold Paper
Views: 754
Message 3 of 5

My E520 has switchable graphics, it has the Intel Graphics 3000 and the ATi 6630m. I only use the ATi Graphics card as it performs much better in all applications. Also, this problem did start to occur after I had the laptop for a month or so. I think is has a problem with dried up thermal paste or a faulty heatsink/fan.

lead_org Microsoft MVP Contributor
Microsoft MVP Contributor
Views: 738
Message 4 of 5

if you have warranty then it is better that you send the laptop in for service.
Regards,

Jin Li

May this year, be the year of 'DO'!

I am a volunteer, and not a paid staff of Lenovo or Microsoft
arian199
Fanfold Paper
Views: 729
Message 5 of 5

Okay, thanks for the help. Smiley Happy

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals