Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
picantose
What's DOS?
Views: 924
Message 1 of 2

Thinkpad Edge E520 Recovery Nightmare

I am having a nightmare trying to get my laptop going again after a hdd failure.
Fortunately I managed to burn the necessary disks from the recovery partition before the hard drive gave up.

However with a new hdd installed and upWindows 7 back on via the recovery disks I have got a limp and useless machine. It appears that the recovery disk doesn't include all the original drivers as the display is using a bog-standard generic driver and some unknown devices show in device manager. My main issue though is Windows Update since reinstall is disabled and I have tried allsorts to get it up and running with no success. I've also tried to update the lenovo toolkit to automatically update the drivers and that will not update either - claiming it needs .Net 4 and .Net 4.5 running to do so. I have tried to install via Microsoft website but .net 4 fails during install and 4.5 wont install without 4. So I cannot update Windows 7 nor the installed Lenovo software. I have tried to manually download drivers from the lenovo site but my Internet is so slow and some of the drivers are so large (200mb+) that most downloads are stalling or timing out before they complete. Any help or ideas please - otherwise its a new laptop purchase for me and it won't be a Lenovo.

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 922
Message 2 of 2

Re: Thinkpad Edge E520 Recovery Nightmare

Hi,

I"m surprised that your recovery media didn't install all the original drivers.  It should have AFAIK.

If your recovery media is old enough to pre-date SP1 _and_ youve installed an advanced format drive (most HDDs are these days) that could explain the windows update problem.

In that case, this KB should help: http://forums.lenovo.com/t5/Windows-7-Knowledge-Base/Windows-Update-Fails-After-Installing-New-Hard-...

Once you get win update running try again to get ThinkVantage System Update installed.  That should get your drivers updated.

Z.

The large print: please read the Community Participation Rules before posting. Include as much information as possible: model, machine type, operating system, and a descriptive subject line. Do not include personal information: serial number, telephone number, email address, etc.

The fine print: I do not work for, nor do I speak for Lenovo. Unsolicited private messages will be ignored - questions and answers belong in the forum so that others may contribute and benefit. ... GeezBlog

Communities:   English    Deutsch    Español    Português    Русскоязычное    Česká    Slovenská    Українська   Polski    Moto English

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors