Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
pdpmcon
Paper Tape
Views: 5,722
Message 1 of 20

Thinkpad Yoga 11e 20d9 Memory Upgrade Issues

I recently purchased a Yoga 11e 20d9 model and so far I'm loving it.  However, I wanted to upgrade the memory from 4gb to 8gb.  I purchased Crucial 8GB Single DDR3 1600 MT/s (PC3-12800) as all the reviews I read said this was okay to use, however, everytime I install the memory and I try to charge the laptop at the same time it crashes.  I can run windows 10 perfectly without issue up until I try to charge it.  I can charge ther laptop when the laptop is off but for the life of me I can't get it to coexist.  I installed the original ram and everything works perfectly.  

Even if I'm in bios, as soon as I plug in the charger the laptop will crash.  It literally has rips on the screen and everything fades out.  As soon as I unplug it, the laptop works flawlessly.  

I returned the memory and got a replacement and it does the same exact thing.  I updated both the BIOS and battery firmware.  I am out of ideas.  Any help would be appreciated.

Guru
Views: 5,585
Message 2 of 20

Re: Thinkpad Yoga 11e 20d9 Memory Upgrade Issues

Try a different memory module again. It could be that this one is faulty too.

If you still have issues, you could also try a different brand like G-Skill, Corsair, Samsung, ...

Which is the manufacturer of the original SODIMM? Micron, Hynix or Samsung?

Warm regards,
Jonas Hendrickx

Lenovo Insider - Windows Insider MVP

Personal website: ThinkScopes

ranmc
Paper Tape
Views: 5,557
Message 3 of 20

I also have the same issue with my Yoga 11 e.

it's not the memory as the 8 gig mem runs fine on the machine until you connect the power supply. Then the display goes crazy. (pixeling, blocking, etc)

demzrollin
What's DOS?
Views: 5,499
Message 4 of 20

I'm having the same exact problem with my new yoga 11e.  I bought this chip:

http://www.amazon.com/Crucial-PC3-12800-204-Pin-Notebook-CT102464BF160B/dp/B006YG8X9Y?ie=UTF8&psc=1&...

and had it replaced after the first did not work, but I had the issue again with the replacement.

The specs look exactly the same as this one listed as compatible on the crucial website: http://www.crucial.com/usa/en/thinkpad-yoga-11e/CT6047882 but the model number (or whatever it is) seems different.  Does anyone have any ideas? 

demzrollin
What's DOS?
Views: 5,496
Message 5 of 20

I will definitely try a different brand - there's gotta be a way to get this working somehow.

njh108
Fanfold Paper
Views: 5,454
Message 6 of 20

Hello, just wanted to chime in with the same problem. Using a memory finder I purchased the same chipset from Crucial, CT102464BF160B, and I'm having the same problem when I plug in my machine. When unplugged it works fine. This is showing as compatible memory on several memory finders. I too would appreciate some answers as to why I can't upgrade to 8GB in a machine that allegedly accepts 8GB of RAM. 

demzrollin
What's DOS?
Views: 5,483
Message 7 of 20

I finally found one that works:

http://www.amazon.com/Kingston-Technology-1600MHz-PC3-12800-KVR16LS11/dp/B00CQ35HBQ?ie=UTF8&psc=1&re...

So far no problems, I can plug in fine, and the system is showing 8gb.

njh108
Fanfold Paper
Views: 5,398
Message 8 of 20

The Kingston memory also worked for me! Not sure why the Crucial memory wasn't compatible. Just happy I was able to upgrade to 8GB of RAM! 

mmoricz
What's DOS?
Views: 5,329
Message 9 of 20

Hi,

I have raised this to Crucial and pointed them to this thread. They've responded with the below:

The link to the thread you provided is interesting, because there are clearly other people having the issue like you are, however looking at our sales history of over a hundred orders of the same exact memory, for the 11e system, there were only a handful of returns. So a compatibility issue across the board seems unlikely based off our information, since we would expect much higher returns rates. 

It is possible the 11e doesn't like the specific build of memory you have, what we call an "extension"; this extension can vary from part to part, in rare circumstances a system may work with one extension, but not another. We can setup an RMA to have your module replaced with a different extension, and this may fix the problem; however if you purchase this memory from a reseller, you would not be able to return the memory for a refund if you setup an RMA through us. If you purchase the memory directly from Crucial then this will not be an issue. If you decide to replace the memory through the reseller you purchased the memory from, then there is no guarantee they will send you a different extension.

Thanks,

Miro.

pdpmcon
Paper Tape
Views: 5,296
Message 10 of 20

Hey guys,

I also bought the kingston memory as suggest above and it works perfectly. Thanks for all the help and I'm glad some of us found a work around =)

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors