10-13-2018

US

2 Signins

52 Page Views

• Views: 52
  • Message 1 of 2

Thinkpad e555 black screen after installing SSD

2018-10-13, 9:49 AM

I recently had my harddrive fail in my E555. I went out and  bought a new 250gb WD blue SSD.  Because the harddrive failure was unrecoverable, I installed the new harddrive blank and unformatted into the PC, and loaded a windows boot cd with the intention of installing.  Upon turning on the PC with the new drive in, I received a message that the hardware was updated and the system needed to reboot.  After that, the PC will turn on, and the CD Drive will spin up, but the screen remains black.

Prior to all of this, I ran hardware diagnostics on all aspects of the PC, and only had problems with the old harddrive.  I don't think there should be any other hardware issues on the PC.  The BIOS version was 1.24.

I have attempted to make a BIOS boot cd to hopefully flash the BIOS and update to 1.27 and resolve the black screen, but I haven't had any luck. 

I have also tried removing the CMOS battery, removing the new harddrive, removing/swapping RAM, and leaving the system off without battery for 8+ hours. 

Is there anything else I can try, or is my motherboard bricked?

Options

2 Posts

10-10-2018

US

4 Signins

116 Page Views

• Views: 116
  • Message 2 of 2

Re: Thinkpad e555 black screen after installing SSD

2018-10-15, 14:44 PM

So, no screen activity from the BIOS either?

If there is...

You might check in the BIOS what your boot devices are and the order.

Could your laptop mistakenly think the panel is a secondary screen? See https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/ThinkPad-11e-Windows-13-E-and/E555-Stuck-on-black-screen-during-startup/m-p/3300363.

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save