Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
uns
What's DOS?
Views: 8,806
Message 11 of 20

Re: Updating the BIOS via bootable USB

Although USB flashing may not be officially supported by Lenovo, I just did it on a ThinkCentre Edge 72 (Ivy) 3493. I simply copied the files from the

"USB Drive UEFI BIOS Flash Package
zip"

as well as the

"Flash UEFI BIOS update (CD ISO image version)
ISO"

on to the usb stick. I'm not sure if both are necesarry, I've actually never flashed a BIOS "manually" before but I suspect the .efi from the USB package will do.

I can not understand why this thread is "solved", as I found no real answer to the title question here.
jrotis215
What's DOS?
Views: 7,875
Message 12 of 20

jheller1, thanks for this.  I am bit slower than most and would appreciate a little more detail or step by step.  My h430 bios has stopped working and I can't get my computer to post.  No keyboard or monitor.  Tried all the jumper resets and battery removal steps ever written.  Tried using the Lenovo process to create a bootable usb bios flash drive, but only get errors following their procedure (something about a bad or missing image file).  I'm sure its because I am missing something, but if I can get a step by step in non tech language, I'm sure I can reflash this bad boy.  Can you help?

nipuntharuksha
Fanfold Paper
Views: 7,545
Message 13 of 20

could you please explain how to run BIOS update utility via bootable pen

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 7,542
Message 14 of 20

Hi,

What model laptop do you have?  For newer ThinkPads the BIOS download (win exe) has tools included to make a bootable flash drive.

Z.

The large print: please read the Community Participation Rules before posting. Include as much information as possible: model, machine type, operating system, and a descriptive subject line. Do not include personal information: serial number, telephone number, email address, etc.

The fine print: I do not work for, nor do I speak for Lenovo. Unsolicited private messages will be ignored - questions and answers belong in the forum so that others may benefit. ... GeezBlog

Communities:   English    Deutsche    Español    Português    Русскоязычное    Česká    Slovenská    Українська   Moto English

nipuntharuksha
Fanfold Paper
Views: 7,539
Message 15 of 20

lenovo g500

i tried to install ubnuntu now i cannot install windows . it say that no storage drivers found. please help

bejenaru
Fanfold Paper
Views: 7,267
Message 16 of 20

For the sake of traceability and since I have spend some time to manage it I am posting the way I have managed it:

- with Rufus I have made a FreeDOS bootable USB stick

- with 7zip (or with your favorite archive manager) I have opened the .iso with the BIOS update and I have copied the contents to the root of the USB stick

- booted from the USB stick and the update process started and completed succesfully.

In my case was about a Lenovo Thinkcentre M58p runing Linux and I have upgraded from BIOS 5KT68AUS to 5CJZ77USA with no problem. I know that this are somehow ancient machines since the new ones are running UEFI, but nevertheless...

aaa, and in the process I used Rufus on a separate Windows machine that I hade near by, so the process is not 100% Linux friendly....

alternative for Linux would be UNetbootin

apt-get install unetbootin

at least so says it here: https://askubuntu.com/questions/46886/how-to-create-a-bootable-usb-stick-to-flash-a-bios

gremlinsky
Paper Tape
Views: 6,274
Message 17 of 20

I've created a freedos bootable usb using rufus.

I've used 7zip to get the items out of the ISO

I've put them on the root of the USB

I boot up from USB

It just goes to a command prompt - am I missing anything - this is for an X260

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 6,262
Message 18 of 20

@gremlinsky wrote:

I've created a freedos bootable usb using rufus.

I've used 7zip to get the items out of the ISO

I've put them on the root of the USB

I boot up from USB

It just goes to a command prompt - am I missing anything - this is for an X260

There may be a way to get that to work but it's likely more complex than that.  I can't help you with that but perhaps others can.

However - Lenovo already provides a way to install an X260 BIOS via flash.  You do need access to a Windows machine or VM to create the flash drive:

Update ThinkPad BIOS with Bootable Flash Drive

Z.

The large print: please read the Community Participation Rules before posting. Include as much information as possible: model, machine type, operating system, and a descriptive subject line. Do not include personal information: serial number, telephone number, email address, etc.

The fine print: I do not work for, nor do I speak for Lenovo. Unsolicited private messages will be ignored - questions and answers belong in the forum so that others may benefit. ... GeezBlog

Communities:   English    Deutsche    Español    Português    Русскоязычное    Česká    Slovenská    Українська   Moto English

gremlinsky
Paper Tape
Views: 6,248
Message 19 of 20

Thanks for that - I can indeed create a bootable USB install now.

The next problem is that I was hoping to use this to set the serial number, machine name and UUID - all of which are missing following a motherboard change.

Unfortunately the install doesn't allow me to do this.

I've tried using the AMIDEWIN method but get the message:

Initializing the SMBIOS interface.  Please wait a moment......
Init. SMBIOS ERROR
bejenaru
Fanfold Paper
Views: 6,204
Message 20 of 20

for the update of BIOS I do not remember exactly if it booted directly from the usb into bios update or I have launched any of the executables that I have extracted from the ISO (flash2.exe i think).

on the other hand I do not have any experience with changing the motherborad... sorry...

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors