Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Helmanfrow
Serial Port
Views: 182
Message 1 of 3

Upgrading E585 With Aftermarket RAM

Today I received shipment of a new E585. It's still sealed in the box.

I ordered it with 4GB of RAM. My intention is to inspect the SODIMM chips and find an aftermarket 8GB part using memory from the same manufacturer. 

I've been doing this long enough to know that this gives me the best shot at a bootable, stable system, but I also know that playing mix-and-match with capacities, latencies, and manufacturers is a crapshoot. I'm going to buy the RAM locally so that I can exchange it quickly if the first brand I try doesn't work.

I'll report back here with my findings, in case anyone else is interested, but I'd also like to ask if anyone has successfully attempted the 4GB + 8GB configuration in this unit. Worst case I'll just by a 16GB kit.

arcooke
Punch Card
Views: 116
Message 2 of 3

Re: Upgrading E585 With Aftermarket RAM

I've opened the laptop and done some work on the inside.  I posted photos and disassembly info, as well as close-ups of the stock RAM modules.  I bought my E585 with 8+8

You may want to read my thread here:

https://forum.level1techs.com/t/lenovo-thinkpad-e585-ryzen-2500u-vega-8-review-impressions-linux-etc...

Someone can correct me if I'm wrong but I don't think the 2500U can make use of RAM faster than DDR4 2400.. so I don't think there's any point in spending extra on faster RAM.  That's the spec on the CPU https://www.amd.com/en/products/apu/amd-ryzen-5-2500u

dcbbleo
Punch Card
Views: 94
Message 3 of 3

Re: Upgrading E585 With Aftermarket RAM

There's someone in this thread who is using 2933MHz modules. They just run at 2400.

In my opinion, compatibility and other basic platform settings (like iommu ivrs Smiley Mad) should be the same or very close to desktop CPUs. I believe amd even provides a common bios foundation (agesa) to vendors.

Laptop vendors just prune their bios so much to simplify things and this sometimes gets in the way.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors