CZ

1 Signins

9 Page Views

• Views: 9
  • Message 1 of 2

Wi-fi on battery power (E130)

2012-12-29, 1:17 AM

Hello there!

I was an all time fan of ThinkPads and finally got one myself - E130. BUT, I have found one huge bug/feature:

While battery powered (with Wi-fi power setting set on the lowest possible) I can connect to WLANs, but cannot put data through (or with big problems). All sort of services are failing (mainly DNS), yet I can still ping to others (i.e. small datagrams are ok, big ones fail).

But when I plug power supply in, everything works as intended with no problems whatsoever.

Also when I change the power settings of Wi-fi in windows (Power setting scheme > Advanced > Wireless > Medium power) everything works fine.

Can even the adapter used in E130 work on the lowest power setting, or is the one I have faulty?

Thanks in advance.

Options

1302 Posts

12-06-2012

Raleigh, NC

545 Signins

33643 Page Views

• Views: 33643
  • Message 2 of 2

Re: Wi-fi on battery power (E130)

2012-12-30, 21:52 PM

Hi, petrpulc

I did some research on the issue and found this article from Microsoft. It seems that when the computer is running on battery power, the default power scheme for the wireless device enters 802.11 power save mode. Now, if the wireless access point to which you are connecting does not have this feature of 802.11 power save mode, then you may experience slower Internet speeds as you are currently.  The workaround from Microsoft on this issue is to do what you have already done: change the power threshold on the wireless device to a higer mark.

Hope it helps,

Adam

______________________________________________________________________________________________________________
Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudo!

If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution!" This will help the rest of the community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.
Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save