Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
mehtaanish
Paper Tape
Views: 11,428
Message 1 of 30

Wireless internet working intermittently on Thinkpad Edge 14 0578-A99

Hi,

I purchased my Lenovo Thinkpad Edge 14 0578-A99 a week ago.

My wireless internet works intermittently. It detects my wireless network properly, but fails to connect. Then suddenly, after a lot of refreshing/connecting/disconnecting it starts working. I have another Dell laptop on which it connects instantly (indicating that there is nothing wrong with the wireless router).

Also, there is one icon for Intel WiFi, and one icon for Wireless Networks on my taskbar. I donot know if these are different, and which one should I enable.

Is there any driver which I need to update, or is there anything I am not doing correctly to connect to wireless?

Regards,

Anish

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 11,360
Message 2 of 30

Re: Wireless internet working intermittently on Thinkpad Edge 14 0578-A99

You might want to check your power settings in windows 7.   Control panel, power options, under your power plan click change plan settings.  Then change advanced power settings, under wireless adapter settings,  power saving mode, make sure maximum performance is chosen for battery and plugged.

Then also under control panel, device manager, network adapters, right click on your wireless adapter, properties, power management, uncheck, "allow the computer to turn off this device to save power."

FN-F5 should bring up a little window that will allow you to turn on or turn off wireless.  

To connect to a network, i'm assuming that you are using windows to control your wireless.  click the bar one and open network and sharing center and connect from there.

Another thing that you can do is run Thinkvantage system update and make sure that your drivers are up to date.  If you find more than one, download and install it one at a time and reboot.  Don't do them all at once, sometimes that doesn't work so well.

Let us know if any of this works for you.

Community GuidelinesSearchPrivate MessagingENDEESPTRUUACZ-SKMoto
PM requests for individual support are not answered. If a post solves your issue, please mark it so.
torsten0815
Fanfold Paper
Views: 11,353
Message 3 of 30

Betreff: Wireless internet working intermittently on Thinkpad Edge 14 0578-A99

Hello,

I have a similar problem with my edge 13 (model 0221).

In Wireless Mode 802.11b/g/n it is impossible to work over WLAN. The wireless network is seen and it tries to connect but fails after a while. My W500 and T61p are working fine.

When I switch back to 802.11b/g it works better. After suspend and hibernation the same problem occurs. After changing the wirless mode to 802.11b/g/n and back to 802.11b/g it is working again.

My drivers are up to date.

With my new harddrive I made a clean fresh installation of Windows 7 with the same problem Smiley Sad

I even took the adapter driver from realtek, which is a bit newer (1005.12.105.2011) than the driver from lenovo (1003.8.0730.2010), but the result is the same. The fresh installation is without access connection (just in case someony would like to tell me the realtek driver is not working with access connection.) :-)

I am using wpa2 security with AES encryption on a 802.11b/g/n accesspoint from linksys and as descripted above, all other devices are working fine.

any ideas???

Thank you

greetings from germany,

torsten

mehtaanish
Paper Tape
Views: 11,337
Message 4 of 30

Thanks.

I will try the solution and let you know.

However, yesterday I couldnt connect to the internet even once. Hence I dont know how I will manage to download the latest updates for ThinkVantage.

Couple of other related questions:

1. There is an Intel WiFi icon on my taskbar which allows me to enable/disable WiFi. There is also the Windows network detection/connection icon on my taskbar. Do I need both? What is the intel WiFi for? Can these be conflicting? And in addition, what is this ThinkVantage?

2. Secondly, when I try connecting to my home network, the properties automatically show WPA-Personal, and TKIP. Are these correct? I tried to change the options, but then my home network is not even detected. Right now, atleast it detects my home network, and fails when I try to connect.

Please help. This is very frustrating, especially considering it is a band new laptop.

Regards,

Anish

torsten0815
Fanfold Paper
Views: 11,332
Message 5 of 30

Hello mehtaanish,

normaly it is only one configuration needed / recommended.

Thinkvantage means the advantage of buying thinkpad and delivers some additional software like access connection.

In access connection you can define network profiles. These profiles are detected automatically, but therefore you must install the drivers from lenovo.

It looks like you have a devicedriver from intel installed (maybe windows update or directly downloaded from intel).

If you are roaming between different networks, you should give access connections a try. Deleting other defined profiles in windows and the intel software should reduce conflicts. Don't forget to note the settings before deleting the profiles :-)

The drivers are downloadable from the lenovo website.

The setting WPA-Personal TKIP is given from your WLAN-access point. You can not change these settings at the client side.

The client must have the correct settings as defined on your access point.

I'am using a newer version of WPA, that is all.

Greetings from germany,

torsten

mehtaanish
Paper Tape
Views: 11,319
Message 6 of 30

Thanks torsten

I have a 6 years old wireless router...could it be that this router is not compatible with windows 7? Any way to check it? Also, if router is not compatible, would i get NO wireless connectivity or can I still get intermittent wireless connectivity (which I am currently getting)

torsten0815
Fanfold Paper
Views: 11,306
Message 7 of 30

Hi,

I do not belive that there is a compatibility issue between the router and the notebook.

You could cross check this with public hotspot.

If the above hints won't help you should open a support call.

greetings from germany,

torsten

amchiu
Paper Tape
Views: 11,073
Message 8 of 30

I am getting the same issue with my Edge 15.

after the laptop goes into sleep mode, which I often do due to travelling around university, it does not connect to wireless access points often. almost 100% of the time, it will detect surrounding wireless points, but will not be able to connect, but will come up with a troubleshoot process instead.

From the troubleshoot proccess, half the time will result in 'turning the wireless adapter on' and it will then work. However, I've been through all the posts in this forums and have checked/unchecked all the boxes which will turn off the wireless adapters etc so that it should not occur when I put the laptop to sleep.

The other times, it will be completely turned off, and it will not turn back on unless i restart the laptop. to complicate things, the laptop will not shut off normally when this situation occurs, and a hard reset is required, either holding the power button or pulling the battery out.

I've had the laptop for less than a bit over 2 weeks, and have had this trouble since day 1. I must admit that I let windows and thinkvantage install any drivers and updates automatically, so did not check whether the same issue occured before anything was installed.

Is there any fix to this, as there are many posts about wireless issues with the Edge series?

Cheers

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 11,044
Message 9 of 30

http://www-307.ibm.com/pc/support/site.wss/TVSU-UPDATE.html

system update.  Don't just download everything at once.  Try one at a time and reboot.  Make sure there are no issues with what you download and install before you do the next one.  You can try access connections from system update.    

Your 6 yr. old router could very well be an issue, at least from looking at other posts here and elsewhere.  Dropped connections are often the symptom.  And I totally agree that you should try out the wireless at any local hotspots and see if there are any connection issues there. If there aren't any issues, then I would look into a newer router.

Make sure you change the settings like I mentioned earlier and if you decide to use access connections, make sure you change the settings in there to high performance also.  Those should be in global settings, I believe.  

PM requests for individual support are not answered. If a post solves your issue, please mark it so.
Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 11,043
Message 10 of 30

amchiu,

Is wake on lan enabled in the bios?  If it isn't, enable it.

There seems to be a few issues with sp1 from windows update, but not from everyone.  I know I haven't had any slowdowns or issues with it.

You might also try  changing your settings in power options so that they are the same for battery as they are for ac.

When you wake it from sleep, your power manager kicks in and resets the timing for all the hardware and brightens the screen.  Might be something in conflict there.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors