Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
NioMio
Paper Tape
Views: 1,396
Message 21 of 30

Re: Wireless internet working intermittently on Thinkpad Edge 14 0578-A99

I've bought a Lenovo Thinkpad Edge 13. It has the Intel wlan inside. I have had several laptops in the last few months, but this one has got problems with connecting to wlan. 

I am not sure what causes this problem.

When I am sitting in the same room as where the router is, the connection is superb. When I am downstairs, away from the router, the strenght of the connection drops. Well, actually, it seems to go 'up and down' and when the strength drops too much, the connection fails. 

But with my other laptops I don't have this problem. 

I have downloaded and installed an ssid-tracking program. This is what happened a few minutes ago:

https://cid-b51320d4a8a5ec65.photos.live.com/self.aspx/Lenovo/Fail.jpg

My connection is NioMio (the blue line)

Does anyone have a clue what causes this problem and of course how to solve it?

Greetings from the Netherlands.

NioMio

Former Employee
Views: 1,379
Message 22 of 30

@NioMio,

Could you try uninstalling Access Connections and see if it helps. Use Windows to configure the WLAN connection.

//JameZ
torsten0815
Fanfold Paper
Views: 1,357
Message 23 of 30

Hi Unidisk,

with this driver my wlan connection is breaking down again, even without n-mode Smiley Sad

I have to go back to the old version.

Maybe the next version is OK.

Greetings from germany,

torsten

NioMio
Paper Tape
Views: 1,347
Message 24 of 30

@JameZ, I've tried that option. The store where I have bought the laptop advised me the same thing. He is now thinking that it is maybe a hardware problem, but I am not sure. One moment the connection is fantastic, the next moment I want to get rid of the Edge 13...

Here is some material you can take a look at to help me solve the problem:

Pictures: https://cid-b51320d4a8a5ec65.photos.live.com/self.aspx/Lenovo

Movie: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JDRl1c7wi-Y

Thank you for your help.

Former Employee
Views: 1,329
Message 25 of 30

@NioMio,

Could you try the following as suggested by topmahof.

You might want to check your power settings in windows 7. Control panel, power options, under your power plan click change plan settings. Then change advanced power settings, under wireless adapter settings, power saving mode, make sure maximum performance is chosen for battery and plugged.

Then also under control panel, device manager, network adapters, right click on your wireless adapter, properties, power management, uncheck, "allow the computer to turn off this device to save power."

---

Also for the router, is the channel set to auto or do you have a specific wireless channel set?

//JameZ
NioMio
Paper Tape
Views: 1,324
Message 26 of 30

@JameZ 

Thank you for your suggestions. I have changed the powermanagement to 'maximum performance'. This setting was for battery and plugged, both maximum energysave Smiley Surprised

The other setting I already unchecked the box.

I am curious how the networkperformance is from now on. I will let you know asap.

The channel is set to 11 and not to auto.

Did you watch the video on YouTube? I think it is strange that he finds other networks but like the teeth of a shark this goes on and off. I don't know how to explain this to you, but I hope you know what I mean. In the video you see the list of networks he has found, but the list changes every second. That is still the case now. 'Netgear' and 'deburen' are the strongest two. 

Edit: I still got problems... one moment I think 'wow! he is doing great!' and the next moment it is going very slowwwww. Just to try if it works: I have set the powerplan of Lenovo to 'maximum performance'. Edit 2: Smiley Mad no success...

I have made a new video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H8ySx-gb6vk

Edit 3: After I had closed the laptopcover to go for lunch, I couldn't get a working connection. It said the signal was reasonable/good, but he couldn't make a connection. I've restarted the laptop twice but no luck. So I went upstairs with the laptop, where the router is and I had a fast connection immediatly!

Mio

NioMio
Paper Tape
Views: 1,288
Message 27 of 30

Yesterday I went to the library and to the citycentre to check how the connection would function on public wireless connections. There were no problems. So the problem must be in or near my house. I think something is disturbing the signal because sometimes I can work for hours and there is a superb connection and later on the connection is going up and down.

NioMio
Paper Tape
Views: 1,241
Message 28 of 30

I've changed the channel to 4. I'm the only one on 4. Problem seems to be solved. 

Former Employee
Views: 1,237
Message 29 of 30

Thanks NioMio for your revert.
gil_bates
Fanfold Paper
Views: 992
Message 30 of 30

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals