Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
somesomething
Paper Tape
Views: 172
Message 1 of 5

can you switch the prosesser on a lenovo thinkpad edge E530

i have a lenovo thinkpad edge E530 and im wanting to basicly have a better computer to run games but i dont have the money to buy a new computer or what not but i was thinking am i able to get like a new cpu or what not (im not the smartest with computers so i really need help)

and if i am im wondering if i can get a graphics card or something idk but my computer is a laptop

heres some of the specs if it helps core i3 2350M (i think 2 cores) 2.30 GHz

i belive stock 3000 intel 

8GB ram

64 bit 

if it helps there

but im wondering if i am able to swap the cpu and if it will run games better

like say if i got  a intel core i5 8600k 8th gen cpu would i be able to put it in the computer or what im hopeing to get a core i5 but idk if it would be good so i need your help. it would be VERY HELPFULL 

Charles1231
802.11n
Views: 169
Message 2 of 5

Re: can you switch the prosesser on a lenovo thinkpad edge E530

Upgrading a processor on a laptop is impossible. You are better off buying a new computer (not a laptop) if upgrade-ability is an option for the specs.
somesomething
Paper Tape
Views: 167
Message 3 of 5

ok thank you i guess i will just save up for a gaming computer i aalready know everything i want (my friend helped me out with it) its a desktop but thank you for the help

Community SuperMod
Community SuperMod
Views: 113
Message 4 of 5

Good day.

For accuracy and clarity, you can most certainly switch the CPU out on the E530.

Have a look at pages 82-83 of your hardware manual: https://download.lenovo.com/ibmdl/pub/pc/pccbbs/mobiles_pdf/e530_e530c_e535_hmm_en_0b48439_03.pdf to see the steps. This model would appear to be easier than some, which require more extensive tear-down.

To be clear, you wouldn't be able to swap in an 8th generation CPU, but you should be able to use up to an appropriate 2nd generation i7 CPU.

If your machine is a Type 3259, you could go here: https://pcsupport.lenovo.com/us/en/products/laptops-and-netbooks/thinkpad-edge-laptops/thinkpad-edge... and expand the parts category listing on the left, to select Processors, and have a look.

If it's a Type 6272, go here to look: https://pcsupport.lenovo.com/us/en/products/laptops-and-netbooks/thinkpad-edge-laptops/thinkpad-edge...

I can't say whether an upgraded CPU will accomplish your gaming goals, though, but it's important that you know that a CPU swap is possible.

Regards.

Community GuidelinesSearchPrivate MessagingENDEESPTRUUACZ-SKTRMoto
PM requests for individual support are not answered. If a post solves your issue, please mark it so.

I am not a Lenovo employee

Charles1231
802.11n
Views: 108
Message 5 of 5

Well looks like it is possible. I apologize for my lack of knowledge, I just assumed that upgrading the CPU would be impossible on laptops, but now I realized that sometimes there are sme number of them that can upgrade the CPU. Still, there are many laptops out there that have both the CPU and GPU soldered in the motherboard.

However, doing the upgrade process in laptops is very complicated. There are also certain limitations in the range of upgrading CPUs. That's why again, getting a computer would be better especially when upgrade-ability is an option. It's easier, convenient and the cheaper at times.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors