Did you mean: 
Highlighted
hrc
Fanfold Paper
Views: 3,006
Message 1 of 2

edge e125-problems with integrated camera driver

hi there!

model in question is 303523G (with preinstalled w7hp 64bit).

i guess that it comes with 0.3mp silicon motion integrated web cam (judging by the original driver which was preinstalled - 5.50.3.8).

that driver was crashing skype during video calls (and other symptom was that when in skype settings from time to time it couldn't access camera and informed me that some other program is possibly using camera even though that other program is skype itself), so i uninstalled it (from device manager not form programs and features) and let windows use generic driver and with it everything works fine.

then i installed driver form lenovo (http://download.lenovo.com/ibmdl/pub/pc/pccbbs/mobiles/8oc103ww.exe) just to verify things. with it installed skype was crashing again. so, i uninstalled it again, and with generic driver everything works fine again.

but, when i looked in programs and features, there is silicon motion integrated camera on the list with date when i first started system and finished inital installation of preinstaled windows. when i tried to uninstall it from there i'm getting message that smremove37.exe can't be accessed or something like that (i'll post exact message and file name later when i come home), then uninstall procedure removes generic driver for integrated camera and device itself is temporarily removed from device manger. after restart windows installs generic driver and everything works fine as expected and there is stil silicon motion integrated camera on the programs and features list and in program files there is silicon motion folder with that exe file among other files and folders.

so, is this normal (i'm guessing that it isn't) and how can i uninstall lenovo/silicon motion driver? i don't know if it is uninstalled, but it remains in programs and features because something went wrong with initial uninstall (note: in device manager generic driver is shown, and there is folder in program files), or it can't be uninstalled via regular procedures. is there way to manually remove it (not just from the programs and features list, but from the system)? if so, can someone, please, post walkthrough?

thanks!

hrc
Fanfold Paper
Views: 2,982
Message 2 of 2

Re: edge e125-problems with integrated camera driver

well it seems that something went wrong with one of the uninstalls of silicon motion drivers, so according to microsoft clean up utility it was uninstalled, but it remained in list on programs and features and folder with files wasn't deleted.

so manual removal both from registry and hdd did help.

also i've installed driver from lenovo again with no problems, but it still crashes skype during video calls and that oddity that skype informs me that some other program is possibly using camera and it should be closed even though that other program is skype itself.

so, i've uninstalled it (this time with no problems) and i'm using generic driver for integrated camera and everything works fine.

i hope that this will be helpful to someone with the same or similar problem.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors