Did you mean: 
Highlighted
rschu2000
What's DOS?
Views: 1,402
Message 1 of 4

use 2.5mm cordless phone headset with combo audio jack

Hello,

I've searched for about an hour and can't figure this out.

I have a Plantronics M214C headset. It is a headset with an earphone for one ear and a boom microphone. It has a 2.5mm jack with 3 pins. I'm trying to use this headset with my ThinkPad Edge 14 by plugging it into a 3-pin 2.5mm female to 3-pin 3.5mm male adapter (just a single cable with the female on one end and male on the other), and then plugging that adapter into the combo audio jack on the ThinkPad Edge. I figured this stuff was standard and it would work, but it does not. I hear audio through the headset, but the computer is not picking up the microphone. I have tested that the headset microphone is working by plugging it into a compatible IP phone.

I'm using a headset with a single jack, so I'm assuming this solution will NOT work (it gives separate headphone and microphone plugs), but will it?

http://forums.lenovo.com/t5/ThinkPad-Edge-Knowledge-Base/Microphone-Headset-Jack-splitter-needed-for...

lead_org Microsoft MVP Contributor
Microsoft MVP Contributor
Views: 1,357
Message 2 of 4

Re: use 2.5mm cordless phone headset with combo audio jack

because the adapter probably don't support the mic pass through. I havent seen many adapters that can pass through stereo sound and mic.
Regards,

Jin Li

May this year, be the year of 'DO'!

I am a volunteer, and not a paid staff of Lenovo or Microsoft
rschu2000
What's DOS?
Views: 1,337
Message 3 of 4

I didn't mention that as part of my hours of searching for info and Lenovo documentation, I didn't find the pinout for the combo audio jack.

Where can I locate the specification of the pinout of this jack?  I hope it is compatible with cell phones that also have a combo 3.5mm jack (headphones plus mic).

lead_org Microsoft MVP Contributor
Microsoft MVP Contributor
Views: 1,332
Message 4 of 4

the lenovo headphone/mic port is same as those Cells phone one.
Regards,

Jin Li

May this year, be the year of 'DO'!

I am a volunteer, and not a paid staff of Lenovo or Microsoft

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors